The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I'm really interested in buying some aquarium stones for my 20 gal iwagumi scape. I know there is Aqua Forest Aquarium that sells a variety of stones, but there a little on the pricey side. I may just order as a last resort but I want to keep my option open. My LFS doesn't really have good looking rocks and for the price, I can get a better quality rock for the same price. I'm really interested in Ohko stone or any stone that won't affect the water quality as well. Rocks that have great character!

Thanks everyone!:icon_smil

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doesn't seiryu stones affect the water parameters ? how would Ibe able to keep up with water conditions with seiryu stones

·
Registered
32 Posts
It may raise your GH a little bit but it's nothing water changes can't help with. It's not a drastic change either. I use seriyu stones in all my tanks, plants, fish and shrimp have never died or gotten sick.

I run a 75 gallon, a 10 gallon and a 6 gallon. No issues in any tank. I do conduct weekly water changes in each of 25%.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh okay, iwas wanting to keep neon tetras and my red cherry shrimp that i currently have. My new tank size is a 20 gal long. And iwas looking into stones and really considering seiryu stones but iwas only concerned about it affecting water chemistry

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
They are just a special type of limestone, it's the weathering that gives them the interesting appearance (and that style of weathering is pretty typical of limestone).

So it will raise the hardness, and buffer the pH as well. If it's a small enough rock/tank volume ratio, and you do big/frequent enough water changes, you may be able to minimize the affect, but it will affect chemistry.

Hit up a landscaping supply place, or a rock/stone yard near you, and see what they have. If you can't scratch the rock with a nail (carpentry type nail, not finger-type), it's probably safe.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
AFA = best online selection of a variety stones.

WYSIWYG and price? ehh, but comparable to most other countries.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I go to my local land scaper yard where they have everything that land scapers need to land scape new homes and parks and stuff, they have TONS of hundreds of different kinds of rocks, and the most ive paid was 5Cents a pound for the rocks ive gotten there. Im lucky to have one right down the street from me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts