The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys, Any help would be much appreciated as my cherry shrimp are dying off at a rate of knots.:icon_cry:

i failed to notice that my filter got blocked and didn't work for a few days. I've cleared the blockage now, but it seems to have caused a massive nitrate/nitrite spike and at least 8 of my shrimp have died. I did a 50% water change last night when I noticed the problem which took the levels down, but when I got up this morning the levels had gone up again, and I had another 3 casualties.

I will continue with the water changes daily, but I just dont want to watch them all die! Is there anything I can do to save the rest of them? Can I maybe take some water out in a container after a water change and pop the shrimps in there unitl the tank stabilizes?.... This is breaking my heart, they were all happy and motoring around a couple of days ago. Sob...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Remove the shrimp into a bucket with a little tank water. Make some new tank water and drip it into the bucket 1 drop per second until you have 10 x the original volume. Leave them in there a few days with some moss while your tank stabilizes, and do 50% water changes or more in the main tank daily until the water is suitable. Then, drip them back into the main tank water.

Google "drip acclimating" if you are unfamiliar with this technique.

Do not feed them much at all while in the non-tank. Better not to feed them at all, to keep the water clean, but if you must, then remove excess food with a syringe after 30 min. To keep the bucket water suitable, you can keep them on the drip for the entire time they are in the bucket if you want. Put the bucket into a larger container to catch overflow if needed.

The object is to provide the shrimp suitable water, and clean, non-stagnant water, while the main tank corrects.

-DK

·
Registered
256 Posts
If it were me, I would continue with the daily water changes as needed (monitoring your parameters). Cherry shrimp are fairly hardy and will probably cope with the water changes...but if your nitrates get high...they will die. Your last 3 deaths may have just been dead shrimp walking from the original spike.

Do your best to keep the levels down until things even out. I've heard of many accounts of people cycling tanks with cherries...so putting them in a separate/bowl/etc wouldn't be out of the question if you can't get your tank stabilized. Just a few thoughts...

edit: dk's plan sounds like a winner.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
You can also buy something like AmQel Plus or some other type of liquid nitrite/nitrate remover. It will aid in lowering the main tanks spikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I've done a bit of both, moved the bigger/pregnant shrimp into a different container, but left some in (just cant catch them all).

So if I used a nitrate remover, do I still have to do the daily water change or does it need time to work?...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main problem is the nitrate, although the nitrite is higher that usual also. Zero ammonia though.
Since the last water change there have been a couple out and about feeding, whereas before they were all hiding in the plants not doing anything. Hopefully this is a good sign... One more corpse though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.