The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Texas with a lot of power bumps up and down (on 24, off 24, that kind of thing). It seems some of my heaters stopped functioning. The hobs and canisters plugged into the same power surge protector strips are working. I'm not sure what to think.. surge when power came back that burnt out heater but not filters? Too big a differential in room temp (low 50s) to ideal tank temp (high 70s)? The betta bowl style heaters I have in the 5G rack, none of them seem to be even warm to the touch and water is icy. Heaters in big tanks have their lights on but not much else happening on the thermometer even after 12 hrs+.

Is there anything I can do to reset the heaters or otherwise get them functioning?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have no answers or advice to offer, but just wanted to say that I’m sorry for your difficulties and wish fully-powered homes for you and your fellow Texans very soon. Best luck to you.

·
Registered
484 Posts
When I am not sure if a heater is functioning I just grab the portion of the heater tube that has the heating coils in it with my hand and see if it is hot. Most heaters have the indicator light wired in series with the heating coil so if the heating coil breaks or is not getting electricity the light should not come on.

Do your heaters have manual dial thermostats or do they have digital thermostats?

Is the room your tank is in unusually cold due to the power outages and unusually cold weather? It could be that your heaters are working but not putting out enough BTU's to overcome the heat loss of the tank into the unusually cold room.

You could try to insulate the tanks, specifically the top of the tanks to try to minimize heat loss. Another approach would be to put bigger heaters in. I like the idea of filling 2 liter soda bottles with HOT water and putting them into the tanks to help warm the tank water as a quick emergency method to provide some warmth to the tanks until everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I am not sure if a heater is functioning I just grab the portion of the heater tube that has the heating coils in it with my hand and see if it is hot. Most heaters have the indicator light wired in series with the heating coil so if the heating coil breaks or is not getting electricity the light should not come on.

Do your heaters have manual dial thermostats or do they have digital thermostats?

Is the room your tank is in unusually cold due to the power outages and unusually cold weather? It could be that your heaters are working but not putting out enough BTU's to overcome the heat loss of the tank into the unusually cold room.

You could try to insulate the tanks, specifically the top of the tanks to try to minimize heat loss. Another approach would be to put bigger heaters in. I like the idea of filling 2 liter soda bottles with HOT water and putting them into the tanks to help warm the tank water as a quick emergency method to provide some warmth to the tanks until everything is back to normal.
I will grab my heater tubes when I get to go home from work today - nothing like direct scientific observation hehe. They are manual dial. I think you are right, hadn't considered the heater is actually fighting the mass of the whole room, not just the water in the tank and ambient air.

Heated rocks may be what I try with wrapping, looks like we get another good freeze friday to try this out!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I will grab my heater tubes when I get to go home from work today - nothing like direct scientific observation hehe. They are manual dial. I think you are right, hadn't considered the heater is actually fighting the mass of the whole room, not just the water in the tank and ambient air.

Heated rocks may be what I try with wrapping, looks like we get another good freeze friday to try this out!
Be careful not to warm the tanks up too fast. The thermal shock to the fish due to a very rapid change in temperature might be more harmful than the cold temperatures. (I just envision dropping a red hot rock into the tank and the tank temperature jumping 20 degrees in an hour).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.