The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Plant Gro fertilizer sticks? I was told that you could just stick these under the roots and the plants will flourish...and that they last almost a whole year slowly releasing the formula. I was told I didn't need any special substrate, that even plain gravel would be fine with these sticks...

opinions?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It is no secret that inert substrates work fine for growing plants. Even without substrate fertilizing you can grow plants by following the EI fertilizing method. All plants can gain their nutrients through the leaf surfaces, even the so-called "heavy root feeders". Adding root tabs or other substrate fertilizers will help the plants because it gives them two sources for nutrients. And, it helps you because if you forget to dose the water a few times, the plants just use the substrate nutrients.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The thing about using sticks like that, is you better stick with your scape and never change anything, because you start having problems when you disturb things by uprooting plants and so forth. I think if you plan on re-arranging things, and not necessarily keeping with the first plant arrangement you plant, you'd be better off sticking with a good aquarium plant substrate and dose with liquid or dry ferts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts