The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering starting a 10 gal tank. I'm just in the planning stages as of right now. I already have all the equipment from my last 10 gal in my storage area, except for the filter.

The tank will have 20 watts of 5100k lighting, and the heater stays at 72 degrees fahrenheit, there's no option to change the temp.

What are some stocking options? Flora and fauna...

I was thinking of maybe breeding some fish in the tank, it would be a fun experience, and my LFS will trade fish for store credit, so I could sell offspring for supplies for my other tanks too.

I do not want livebearers, I've done liverbearer tanks so many times before, and want something new. Something attractive but rather easy to breed. Maybe even moderately difficult to breed. But nothing super hard.

But suggestions besides breeding fish are welcome too. :)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
No one can really make these decisions except for you. Take a look at other people's tanks and see what appeals to you.

I have peacock gudgeons in my tank (and they've bred a few times).
Some other options for breedable fish are CPD (celestial pearl danios), Scarlet darios, sparkling gouramis, or assorted pygmy cory species.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'm just looking for some suggestions for fish that would do well in a small tank, and plants that would do well in that lighting

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Another suggestion on fish to breed would be White Cloud Mountain minnows, the Longfin ones are really nice.

CPDs tend to eat their fry so multiple tanks are usually the best way to go with them.

Plant wise I'm a fan of moss, crypts, and ferns. You should be able to grow most plants with that lighting though.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
White Clouds would be my suggestion. There are some awesome ones out there. Cheap too! I've never bred them sadly. :(

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
X3 on the White Clouds.

I especially like the Vietnamese variant, especially due to the fact that they stay relatively smaller than the regular white cloud minnow. These fish are very prolific so you shouldn't have a problem breeding them with a tiny bit of research (or none). I only have mine for a week and they already spawned for me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You could get paradise fish or gouramis. Very interesting breeding habits. You could house a pair of either in a 10 galon tank (except for a giant gourami of course).

You have many options, paradise, blue gourami, pearl, moonlight, colisas, etc. oout of these only the blue gouramis could outgrow the 10 gal.

You are going to need a grow out tank though if you expect to grow fry of ANY fish, a 10 gal is not going to be enough...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I like white clouds :)

Maybe I won't breed fish with it...

I could get a betta, he would surely be happy in that tank. Maybe a few cory cats in there too?
I heard that ADF can live with a betta, and the betta wont bother them... is that worth a shot?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Celestial pearl danios can be really beautiful and behave naturally in a 10 g tank. I have 6 in my 10 and they hid from me even with a nice piece of driftwood until I got enough plants for them to be secure. They have only eaten from the surface since I got the plants.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't bother with any gouramis that don't have dwarf or pygmy in the name, you will only run into problems. To boot most gouramis and bettas don't like 72 degrees (more like 78). White Clouds are a definite safe bet. So are the many danio varieties. I'd avoid cory cats because of tank size, more than temperature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts