The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendation on a slow non-submersible water pump?

They use to make this " TOM Aquarium Aqua Lifter Pump 3.5gph flow rate to 30 inches height"
I need something that allows me to very slowly fill up my micro planted tank without disturbing the substrate and plants. I think this would work except its been discontinued. Is there any replacement from another company?

I think this may be known as a " vacuum , suction or diaphragm pump"

Thanks .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There are plenty of dosing pumps available for cheap on fleabay and the like. Some on Amazon, as well.

But how much flow do you need? Is this for water changes? What's the volume of the tank you're filling? Could you tell us more about the setup? May help us nerds make better recommendations.
2.6 gallon Micro planted tank. If I put water in too fast, I will throw dirt everywhere in the tank. If I had a super slow pump like that old Tom one, I could do it very slowly. Since tank is only 2.6 gallons( Probably less considering all the gravel, stone and driftwood I put in.) , Anything will do, no matter how slow the pump is.

I do see little metal round pumps which you have to like wire the pump yourself but no like finish products like that old Tom Aqua lifter which is like more of a consumer product.

Then there is like your reef ones that are hundred of dollars but no like relatively inexpensive ones that is a finish product.

I wonder why they discontinued that Tom Aqua lifter? It seem to be just what I was looking for.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,766 Posts
2.6 gallon Micro planted tank. If I put water in too fast, I will throw dirt everywhere in the tank. If I had a super slow pump like that old Tom one, I could do it very slowly. Since tank is only 2.6 gallons, anything will do Probably less considering all the gravel, stone and driftwood I put in.

I do see little metal round pumps which you have to like wire the pump yourself but no like finish products like that old Tom Aqua lifter which is like more of a consumer product.

Then there is like your reef ones that are hundred of dollars but no like relatively inexpensive ones that is a finish product.

I wonder why they discontinued that Tom Aqua lifter? It seem to be just what I was looking for.

Thanks.
I think there's a different company trying to bring in the OEM version of the Tom pump. Hopefully that happens soon. I prefer using them for auto top-offs instead of more powerful pumps.

If you search "peristaltic pump with controller" on Amazon and fleabay, you should be able to find some small pumps that have power supplies and have flow controllers. Appear to be several options for $30ish or less.

Since your tank isn't too tiny, you should be able to place some kind of tubing on some hardscape or put a sponge on the end to dampen flow. Have you considered doing that and using a container placed higher than the tank to just drip in at whatever speed you want? Could use airline tubing with a controller knob if you want to go really slow. Or use a bit larger tubing with a knot tightened to control flow.

I have a bunch of tanks about the same size and I use... wait for it... enema buckets:

Can hang them on a stand or place them above the tank. There's a little plastic flow controller that works well. I think the ones I have are about one liter but they come in larger sizes. I just fill them up a couple times as I'm refilling my tanks. Gives me a bit of time to check the tank out and monitor inhabitants during water changes.

It embarrasses some newcomers to the hobby when I offer this particular recommendation. But reality? Most people don't know what it is and just think it's something hobby-specific.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Is this for water changes or a one time filling? Can you put a container on a stand near the tank or hang it? I'm immediately thinking of gravity feed out of a small container with a valve or siphon feed with a hose with a knot that you can tighten. That's how I drip acclimate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this for water changes or a one time filling? Can you put a container on a stand near the tank or hang it? I'm immediately thinking of gravity feed out of a small container with a valve or siphon feed with a hose with a knot that you can tighten. That's how I drip acclimate.
Today, I was refilling the entire tank several times. Trying to clean it out. Since there is only plants.

I was sort of able to do it using some automatically drip irrigation system design for watering plants when you are on vacation.

In the future, I would like a system that I can control remotely.

I do have access to smart plugs( to control power), and a video camera to view remotely. The smart plugs I have also give me the ability to set a schedule remotely and save it right to the device.

So I could say for example, power on for exactly 2 minutes.

There is always the risk to turning the pump on remotely then losing internet connection or having the app crash then have the water turn on without the ability to turn off remotely and flooding everything.

However, if I am going to do this, I will give it several " power down commands a few minutes out so worse can scenario if I am unable to shut it off remotely, it will shut itself off using the schedule system.

I am also getting into hydroponics and a system like this could also help if I wanted to refill the tanks while I'm away.

P.S. I am not sure if I trust auto top off systems especially when I'm away. Manually being able to view the tank and slowly add water is something I find appealing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts