The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a mini-discussion about potential problems with Akadama as a substrate. Could anyone with experience share what/any problems you found with Akadama as a substrate for shrimp tanks.:icon_smil

Thanks,

Jesus

·
Registered
213 Posts
MananaP clearly states that more minerals needs to be added but he will be using it more often in his tanks.

Imke and some other people on shrimpnow you this soil to.

If you still have doubts about using it, check with them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Loach and Kazuya for your responses.
I am actually cycling a tank with Akadama and did add extra minerals( old sea mud) as MananaP had suggested, but would like to know if that is the only "major problem" with Akadama.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I too have a tank cycling with akadama (and added old sea powder) But I have ADA soil on top of it.

Guess we'll have to see first hand what happens.
I'm sure we should be fine.

Goodluck:proud:

·
Wanabe BKK Herder
2,159 Posts
Right now I’m all freaked out about the fact that I’m using Fluval Shrimp Stratham in my F1/BKK tank, and over on Shrimp Now people are reporting that FSS = kiss of death for BKK. I used it because I was hoping it would be better for my F1 BKK hybrids than Aquasoil. ARGH!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts

·
Wanabe BKK Herder
2,159 Posts
I'm at work and can't see the video. Is he raising BKK? People were saying it seemed fine for other types, but that some CRS/CBS had survivability problems and that BKK were pretty much toast. I have noticed that in my first few batches of babies, the survival rate seems very low compared to my main tank which has ADA (I was wondering about it just last night).

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I'm at work and can't see the video. Is he raising BKK? People were saying it seemed fine for other types, but that some CRS/CBS had survivability problems and that BKK were pretty much toast. I have noticed that in my first few batches of babies, the survival rate seems very low compared to my main tank which has ADA (I was wondering about it just last night).
No, OEBT's in Fluval Soil.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have all my BKK in FSS right now and they are very active, so I just have to wait and see, might have to start a new tank with ADA, don't know what my CFO (wife) will say when I come in with yet another tank that will have now fishes in it.:hihi:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.