The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my order in the mail today from AquaticMagic. I've been reading a number of threads with people's experiences so I am a bit worried about how it will work. Do I need to "prep" the diffusor before use? Like soak in bleach or vinegar? Or do I just plop it right in?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't. :( My DIY CO2 doesn't seem to have enough pressure. I am going to go home tonight and try a bleach solution and blow through it. Tom Barr stated in another thread that he can blow through his. If I can't, I am going to be email the seller. Any news on yours?

Boy, it sure sucks when, after all this waiting and hoping that it would work better than the cheapie ones I have, that this one doesn't work with my DIY at all (the small ones work no problem).

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
i think its more of your system then the diffuser.

i have a nano diffuser and i cant blow through it even with compressed air its a bit tough. when i was running diy i had to run a 4L bottle and then it worked.

·
Registered
695 Posts
um heres some quotes that might help
Plantbrain said:
For a 90 gal, just get the 2000(20mm), that's plenty.

Regards,
Tom Barr

5000's are for 150-300 gallon sized tanks when used in pairs.

Regards,
Tom Barr
What size tank are you using this on ? Some people clean theirs in a bleach dip heres another quote
nellis said:
it takes a few minutes... 10-15 in bleach, 10-15 in a dechlor solution
SPL-311 said:
what size Rhinox would be suitable for a 45-50 gallon tank? The 1000 or the 2000?
Wö£fëñxXx said:
The 2k will barely be enough once the tank is heavily planted, personally I would go for the 5k for anything over 40/45g.
I'm planning on getting a rhinox 1000 for my 10 gallon and i plan to use 2 x 2 liter bottles hopefully it works without any issues

·
Banned
418 Posts
I just got a 2000 and I recall the seller saying that it won't work with DIY bottles because it doesn't have enough pressure. I pointed out that in the auction it says it will work with DIY bottles, but he said the auction info would be changed, because no one has had success getting them to work. I just checked the current auction and nothing has been changed. I think you may be better just sending it back or reselling it unless you get a 8 liter bottle.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am using a 4L bottle for a 125 gallon. I know it's woefully inadequate, but I am not up for another pressurized system yet, since I just outfitted my 20 gallon (on another floor) with a pressurized setup.

I do realize that I should have used the 1000 probably, but I am not sure that it would have improved the pressure any. I guess it would have to, since the volume would be a lot smaller. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to hook it up to my pressurized system to try it out.

But I'll try the bleach tonight and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We've exchanged several emails. He asked me to tweak my solution at first, saying no prep was needed. When I told him I can get 70 bpm with a nano, he then asked me to check for leaks. He's been polite and trying to work through it with me. But I think the bottom line is that the 5000 shouldn't be used with DIY, and he should stop advertising that. It still think it's a nice diffuser, but there's just no way it could work with DIY.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
i was able to get the 8 coil diffuser to work with diy and working properly having all the bubbles go through the 8 coils and through the whole disc. also it took the good part of the day to get started but once it did it was good to go. you can try shaking your diy bottle too to get it pressurizing to make sure it works.

what mix are you using?

i used the gelatin, sugar, brewers yeast and baking soda in mine and got good bubble rate for about a month at a time.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am using sugar, baker's yeast, and baking soda. I've never had any problems with other diffusers prior to this one.

I am going to add a second 4L bottle this weekend to increase the pressure. There may be some loss since I added a DIY gas separater/bubble counter between the yeast bottle and the diffuser, but that worked fine until I switched to the Rhinox. Maybe I'll get some brewer's yeast, or maybe champagne yeast to try this weekend too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 5000 in my 75 gallon, and used a 3 quart bottle for DIY before I set up the pressurized system. I got a tiny dribble of bubbles out of it, after waiting hours for the pressure to build. And they all came out of one spot. Now that I'm using pressurized, it all comes out all over, due to the higher pressure.

The 2000 has about 1/3 the surface area, doesn't it? I imagine that would be a better choice for DIY.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 2000 has about 1/3 the surface area, doesn't it? I imagine that would be a better choice for DIY.
In retrospect, yes. But I pulled the trigger to buy a coupla days before the other Rhinox thread came up. :(

·
Banned
418 Posts
I have a 5000 in my 75 gallon, and used a 3 quart bottle for DIY before I set up the pressurized system. I got a tiny dribble of bubbles out of it, after waiting hours for the pressure to build. And they all came out of one spot. Now that I'm using pressurized, it all comes out all over, due to the higher pressure.

Well I asked them before I got a 2000 and they said it wouldn't work with DIY and they would suggest against it so there is obviously some confusion. I think it may work, but if it does it doesn't work properly. I'm sure they just leave the misleading info to ensure they don't loose sells, but i'm also sure several of users ended up with the same problem tiny bubbles if anything at all. Just sell it or send it back, and get something that will actually work the way it's suppose to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts