The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i just bought an Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer at Petsmart today, and i need a little bit of help.

Incase you aren't familiar with this product, it's basically a syphon with a 50ft long tube that connects to a sink faucet at the end. When you open the valves, you can drain water out of the aquarium in to the sink; and when you close the valves, you can turn on the faucet and refill the aquarium.

Here's the problem: All of the faucets in my house are "fancy", so the end can't screw on to the faucet. The only "normal" faucet we have is in the laundry room, but that doesn't work either because there are no threads inside or outside of it. It's basically just a tube.

My dad and I took the end piece to a hardware store, and they weren't sure how i could fasten it.

Any ideas? It needs to be easily removable, so don't just say glue it on. :hihi: Is there something that i could tighten on to the outside of the faucet that has threads? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as this device would make my weekly water changes so much easier!

Thanks,
AzFishKid

·
Registered
280 Posts
i bought this same exact kit and i also had a 'fancy' faucet. after examining the faucet though i found out that there is actually a part that connects to a counter clockwise thread. try looking again and making sure there isn't a little connector. i just removed that little piece and then the aqueon screwed on

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i bought this same exact kit and i also had a 'fancy' faucet. after examining the faucet though i found out that there is actually a part that connects to a counter clockwise thread. try looking again and making sure there isn't a little connector. i just removed that little piece and then the aqueon screwed on
What i mean though is that there are no threads on the faucet, so it can't screw in. In the first pic, the plastic connector is larger than the faucet. Took a few pics:

·
Registered
188 Posts
My python came with a peace like this:

and my faucet looks like the second faucet pictured the bottom piece comes out and then that adapter thingy goes in just make sure you get the little o ring out of the faucet from you fancy out put
hope this helps

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My python came with a peace like this:

and my faucet looks like the second faucet pictured the bottom piece comes out and then that adapter thingy goes in just make sure you get the little o ring out of the faucet from you fancy out put
hope this helps
Yay, it worked! I didn't know the little bottom piece could unscrew.

Thanks everyone for the help. ;)

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sure if the Aqueon is any thing like the python you'll love it
can I ask how you did water changes before?
There's a hose right outside of my bedroom, so i unwound the hose from the rack, ran it through the garage and hallway, then connected the siphon tube to the hose. Then when i was ready to refill, i took the hose outside and connected it back to the faucet, then ran it through a window into my bedroom.

Worked fine, just required 2 people to do it and my Dad didn't especially like helping... haha.

·
Registered
205 Posts
There's no way that diy mod could be used to siphon water out of the tank, it can only be used to fill a tank. I know this thread has also been resolved but that second faucet posted (fancy one) and the last faucet posted both have diffusers that you can unscrew, and that's where you screw in the adapter for the water changer. You may have to use plyers or vicegrips to get a good enough grip. A small piece of rubber can be used to protect the finish on the diffuser if needed.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Hey,
I bought the same model. I drilled a hole in my floor to thread the hose down to the basement sink. I like to let the faucet start the siphon and then turn off the faucet and let gravity do the work. I can't see wasting that much water to siphon.

Watch out for this model. I broke mine in half a few days ago by tightening it into the faucet. I guess the material & design isn't that great. But I glued it together with gorilla glue. Crazy glue would work too.

I might rebuild this in metal and pvc when I have the time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey,
I bought the same model. I drilled a hole in my floor to thread the hose down to the basement sink. I like to let the faucet start the siphon and then turn off the faucet and let gravity do the work. I can't see wasting that much water to siphon.

Watch out for this model. I broke mine in half a few days ago by tightening it into the faucet. I guess the material & design isn't that great. But I glued it together with gorilla glue. Crazy glue would work too.

I might rebuild this in metal and pvc when I have the time.
I found thishttp://forums.tfhmagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=22859&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a and am sorta hoping my python breaks so I can try it out lol

·
Registered
699 Posts
cool DIY niptek
does it also siphon out or do you just use it for refill?

i use it to refill but you can attack the syphon tube at the other end and syphon it that way.

you can also turn on the water till the tube is completely filled with water then turn off the faucet and unhook the tube and let the water syphon out. I've done with and it worked.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
699 Posts
There's no way that diy mod could be used to siphon water out of the tank, it can only be used to fill a tank. I know this thread has also been resolved but that second faucet posted (fancy one) and the last faucet posted both have diffusers that you can unscrew, and that's where you screw in the adapter for the water changer. You may have to use plyers or vicegrips to get a good enough grip. A small piece of rubber can be used to protect the finish on the diffuser if needed.

if you let the water run til the tube is filled with water you just unhook the tube from the faucet and it'll syphon. =)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts