The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. Just wanted to say Hi. First time ever posting a thread anywhere, so please bear with me. Anyway here's the tank specs:

6.6 gallon petco bookshelf 24" long, 9" tall, 7" deep
15 watt Coralife 6500K Super Daylight Lamp 10 hrs light cycle
Power filter cut back to half throttle for bettas
1.5 - 2 inches Eco Complete
7.5 ph according to API kit
78 degrees
Seachem ferts with excel

Where I'm at so far... I've spent many nights searching and reading through these forums to somewhat have a grasp on what's going on before I repeat the mistakes when I was younger and just ending up with a tank full of algae and dead fish, frustrated, and walking away from the hobby for ten years. I do now use CO2 again on my main tank with good success but for this one, as it's on the kitchen counter end, no yeast reactors are allowed as per the boss's (excuse me... wife's) stipulations. On the left half I would like it simple, thinking marsilea carpet, and something (here's where your knowledge comes in) like dwarf hair grass for a background. Highest slope point being back left corner and keeping the betta hut back leftish The guys love being in them and I don't think they would forgive me if I took those away. Plus they look pretty cool. Right side I would like to see it pretty well filled in with plants, hiding the equipment, and letting the marsilea creep and make a foreground there as well, betta hut in middle surrounded by colorful plants (again your advise is welcomed with plant types). Now I am debating taking out the flourescent tube and converting to 2-3 spiral screw in flourescents to solve the lack of light in the corners and to get me in the 3 to 3.5 watts per gallon range. UNLESS anyone with experience with marsilea thinks it will do fine with the 15 watts already in place. But am wondering if I get that high in lighting will excel alone still be able to do the trick? And finally, if anyone can let me know what is the difference in the marsilea plants. I see alot of people using minuta and since I cannot locate any on swap n shop I will be ordering from aqua botanic and they sell quadrofolia. I have read emmersed growth shows the difference in plants but submerged they all pretty much look the same. Is this true? Once again your help and advice is appreciated. I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

Thank You
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have that same tank and love it! But like you, I upgraded the lighting to 2 CFL's and removed the stock hood. I used the clip-on shop lights from Home Depot... they run about $5 each. :)

As for plants, my Bettas love laying in anubias. You could maybe tie one onto the huts. That could look neat. Other than that, I'm not a true aquascaper, so I'll leave the plant & layout suggestions to the pros.

Cheers!
Jami

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somebody......
Anybody......
Lots of views here but no input on plants. Is it something I did wrong? ;)

Thanks for lookin,
Chris

·
Registered
512 Posts
not at all!
i think i consider marselia low light... but if u want it to grow clower to the substrate and faster then up the light. as far as wpgs... it does not apply for nano tanks i believe.
i would personally put some anubias petites and have a nice slope and grow micro swords as they are low light carpet plants, u could also add like tall hairgrass for background.
as for the light,m ppl have been known to use hampton bay lamps, ott lites, and other lamps with great success!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Either of the marsilea plants will be fine to use in this set up. I'm surprised you couldnt find any on Swap and Shop, its offered pretty frequently. If you post a WTB post, then I'm sure someone will offer some up for a good price.

I would add a couple rosettes of Sag.subulata in the back right and back left corners. In a small tank like this, it'll be tall enough to serve as your background. In front of the Sagiteria, I would add some anubias nan petite tied to rocks to raise them above your planned marsilea carpet. That would make a low light, easy low maintenance tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts