The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title implies, wondering if there is such a thing? I've been digging around over the past month looking at different shrimp for different tanks and I know the golden rule is Neocaridina's with Caridinas, and not with each other etc... as they interbreed and produce mutts.

Then I noticed Sulawesi Malawa shrimp which don't seem to interbreed with anything, and the Amano which only breeds in brackish so it can be kept with the others. Are there any other oddballs like those that can be kept with basically any other type of shrimp?

I've seen a few good lists, but most I've found are a little outdated (don't have the newest breeds) or are missing something.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Orange sunkist (formerly C. propinqua, though I believe the species was recently renamed) and opae ula (Halocaridina rubra) are two more. The propinquas are about the size of an amano and have similar breeding habits. They're hardy in a variety of water conditions as well. Opae ula are a tiny Hawaiian shrimp that are technically brackish but can survive in all sorts of crazy conditions. They also need brackish for successful reproduction.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far we have...

Malawa
Amano
Caridina Babaulti
Blue Bee shrimp
Orange sunkist
Opae ula

I'm sure there are more, I'm interested in keeping this an ongoing thing so anyone that has any more information, please feel free to add to this.

Thanks for the info thus far :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
As the title implies, wondering if there is such a thing? I've been digging around over the past month looking at different shrimp for different tanks and I know the golden rule is Neocaridina's with Caridinas, and not with each other etc... as they interbreed and produce mutts.

Then I noticed Sulawesi Malawa shrimp which don't seem to interbreed with anything, and the Amano which only breeds in brackish so it can be kept with the others. Are there any other oddballs like those that can be kept with basically any other type of shrimp?

I've seen a few good lists, but most I've found are a little outdated (don't have the newest breeds) or are missing something.
Have you tried clicking on the complete breeding chart link just above our chart in Planet inverts site. It takes a little while to load but is very complete. Here is the complete chart
http://www.planetinverts.com/ShrimpBreedingChart.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts