The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondering if we have any fantasy/sci-fi fans out there. I like more young adult stuff any way just wondering. Cause I am a huge fan. Have a good day.

·
Registered
811 Posts
::raises hand::

Just recently read the last book in The Expanse series - highly recommended!

Flamed out on a recent re-read of Dune... great through God Emperor, but I lost interest in the middle of Heretics.

So so many reads of LoTR, but I'm generally more into Sci Fi than fantasy. Does The Dark Tower count as fantasy??? I'm going with yes. Okay, I like fantasy too ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, Have you read the inheritance cycle? I will have to look those up. I want to read Dune. LoTR is always a good choice. Also a complete star wars nerd.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh theres a book series called wings of fire ages 9ish to 9999999999 if you ask me the main story is 14 books as of rn. I have listend to all of them with the exception of 14 upwards of 13 times… Im… a fan

It is published by scholastic and is a kids book. Best ever

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I'm a big science fiction and fantasy fan. Best sci-fi/fantasy books I've read in the last few years in no particular order:

Red Rising
Ancillary Mercy
Gideon The Ninth
A Deadly Education
A Memory Called Empire
All Systems Red

BUT if you haven't read Dune, I would definitely do that one first. The orignal is fantastic. The sequels... you can skip and not feel bad in my opinion. But the first book is to this day my favorite book of all time.

Other great science fiction:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Starship Troopers
Foundation
The Forever War
Cryptonomicon
Snowcrash
Consider Phlebus

Other great fantasy books:
A Game Of Thrones
The Name of the Wind
The Eye of the World
His Majesty's Dragon
Harry Potter (first book is ok, same with the last book, everything inbetween is great)

Most of these books have series attached to them. The older ones have series that are complete but the newer ones are still ongoing, I just listed the names of the first books in the series.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dune (and series) is definitely a must read.

Harry Turtledove has a couple series that I thought were good
Darkness series
Timeline-191 series

Gunslinger series by Stephen King is really good too

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
476 Posts
I recently re-read the Frontlines series from Marko Kloos. They read really fast. Also the last 2 books from The Dresden Files series from Jim Butcher.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Huge fantasy fan here, almost exclusively what I read these days. As for favorites really anything from Brandon Sanderson, Brent Weeks, or Michael J. Sullivan.

In Particular:
-Mist Born (unique magic system based on metals).
-Stormlight Archives (a show of force when it comes to world building, think game of thrones but better)
-The Night Angel Trilogy (a bit darker, focuses on assasians)
-The Lightbringer series (an excellent long series with magic based on solidifies light)
-Any of the Riyria series
-The Legends of the first empire (long series about the history of the world the Riyria series take place in.)

Currently reading the Bone Witch series which is pretty good so far. I just finished the first book of the wheel of time series and it was excellent, on the wait list for the next book.

On a side note the last episode of the Expanse TV show comes out today. Sad to see the best Scy Fi show of recent years come to an end.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Cool, Have you read the inheritance cycle?.
One of my favorite series when I was younger. I re-read it again recently and its still excellent. I will admit that I've always found the writing style a bit on the simplistic side but the story is top knotch.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts