The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one have or had green fire tetras? I've been trying to find a tetra to put in with my neon and white skirts. Saw some of these in a lfs and really liked them. Have been doing some online research, but would like some first hand experiances too. Thanks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yes, I have them in my 50-gallon tank. I chose them because I wanted something different, but also something that looked like it could handle a little more current. Of all the display tanks in the LFS, the "Green Fire Tetras" were in a higher flow tank and were doing well in it.

And they're still doing well. I have 11 of them in with three "Panda Cories" and a Hypancistrus sp. L260 pleco. They're much more active than the Cardinal Tetras I've kept before. They are willing to go around the tank both in groups or alone, and they don't hide like my Cardinals used to any time I walk by the tank, etc. They come to the front of the glass when I walk up, looking for a meal. They seem inquisitive and like to explore the few plants I have in there. They're starting to color up nicely, too. They were kind of "blah" in the LFS, but with good quality food they're really becoming my favorite.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Whoops - I should also comment that I haven't kept Neons or White Skirts before to be able to comment on how they might be all together. Based on what I've seen, I'm not certain mine would tolerate fish that might pick on them or chase them. They don't even pick on each other - they all just kind of get along. So that might be something to think about. But wow, they're pretty awesome. It's been a long time since I've had a Tetra that didn't scatter and hide when the lights went on or when I wanted to do tank maintenance. I'm really digging these guys!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoops - I should also comment that I haven't kept Neons or White Skirts before to be able to comment on how they might be all together. Based on what I've seen, I'm not certain mine would tolerate fish that might pick on them or chase them. They don't even pick on each other - they all just kind of get along. So that might be something to think about. But wow, they're pretty awesome. It's been a long time since I've had a Tetra that didn't scatter and hide when the lights went on or when I wanted to do tank maintenance. I'm really digging these guys!
This is one thing that I was wondering in particular. I had read that they should be kept in fairly large groups, but I didn't know if it was for their comfort or to decrease aggression. The white skirts chase and nip each other a bit but tend to leave the other fish alone. I also have read that their color gets better as they age. Thanks for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.