The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I did see one in a store that carried ADA tanks as well. There is little difference. They had non bow front tanks as well. I have been waiting to see if they get a shipment in. I wanted to get a 60P size tank but the shipment keeps getting delayed. Price wise its great. I dont have one so I can not tell you how they hold up. If it didnt have a sticker saying Mr. Aqua I would have thought it was an ADA tank.

·
Registered
563 Posts
wow, thats nice looking. I dont know how that compares in price to ADA tanks (never looked, or really been interested) but that price at MarineDepot doesnt seem too bad.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You guys would probably have a shopping spree if you saw how much rimless ADA style fish tanks go for in Taiwan.

The quality is the same or maybe better than the ADA tanks also.

i have a nano tray I picked up in TW for extremely cheap. Put it side by side with my ADA's and the seams actually look better on the TW tank.

I picked up a full setup. rimless 1.5g shallow tray, nano deco filter, 13w cfl clipon with extra bulb and scaping rocks for less than 30 bucks!

I actually thought bout importing them to sell in the states.. they are as cheap or cheaper than the petco rimmed tanks lol.

GF is bringing me back another nano cube from TW this week..

imo the glass is probably slightly thicker on the ADA tanks. But the nano I brought back from TW actually survived being put in a gym bag and brought carry-on with 3 flight transfers.

TW's a big glass manufacturer.. so it's kind of cheap to get glassware from them.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I did see one in a store that carried ADA tanks as well. There is little difference. They had non bow front tanks as well. I have been waiting to see if they get a shipment in. I wanted to get a 60P size tank but the shipment keeps getting delayed. Price wise its great. I dont have one so I can not tell you how they hold up. If it didnt have a sticker saying Mr. Aqua I would have thought it was an ADA tank.

The seams are very different. On the ADA tanks the seems are more whitish.. on these TW tanks, they are more blue/greenish

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
They're out of stock on mareinedepot already. They definitely look cool and it's nice to see someone thought about bringing them to US market. You don't see many rimless tanks at LFS, do you? That's what puzzling me a lot, cause in Europe rimless tanks were available for many years while here there aren't many options beside standard AGA aquariums when you shop locally.

·
Registered
822 Posts
You guys would probably have a shopping spree if you saw how much rimless ADA style fish tanks go for in Taiwan.

The quality is the same or maybe better than the ADA tanks also.
I agree! I've been in taiwan for the past two months and been to various fish stores. They have so many rimless tanks of different sizes for such cheap prices. Unfortunately for me, I am not bringing a tank back this year.

I did see one a Mr.Aqua tank yesterday at a fish store. It was the same one as a bowfront on marinedepot.com. It looks pretty sturdy to me. I definitely want one now.

America should manufacture more rimless tanks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I can understand that stores have problems with breakage when the tanks don't have plastic rims on them, but I don't see why using simple, cheap styrofoam packing wouldn't solve those problems. The tanks would cost more than rimmed tanks, but they shouldn't cost twice as much. So, I don't understand why we have so few choices on rimless tanks. And, the same goes for the messy silicone jobs on typical tanks in LFS - just so unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I can understand that stores have problems with breakage when the tanks don't have plastic rims on them, but I don't see why using simple, cheap styrofoam packing wouldn't solve those problems. The tanks would cost more than rimmed tanks, but they shouldn't cost twice as much. So, I don't understand why we have so few choices on rimless tanks. And, the same goes for the messy silicone jobs on typical tanks in LFS - just so unnecessary.
The rimless tanks would cost twice as much. keep in mind that if they dont have a plastic rim the edge of the glass needs to be polished. That takes time and man power to do. That increases the cost of the tank. On the tanks with the plastic molding the silicone is thick so they can get a good seal. More silicone more area to make sure the seal is good.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
$31.98 shipped. They said in stock but I'll know for sure either Thursday or Friday. lol

I've looked at those 2.5 rimmed tanks a Petsmart several times and aways fought off the urge. lol

SteveU

·
Registered
376 Posts
Let us know how it works out GTR, that 13.3 gallon bowfront is mighty seductive. I derimmed a 2.5 gallon a few weeks ago, but its on a 24" stand and under a 24" light... It's begging to be upgraded.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I ordered the 3g at 2pm yesterday and received immediate confirmation and then a tracking number about 3pm. MD deliveries are always next day to me.

Anyway, if I have time I'll take some shots of it but more likely Friday. The DDS has my afternoon tied up after 1:30 today.

SteveU

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Looks good for the price or at least I'm satisfied with the build quality. But then I've never seen an ADA tank for a comparison. It would take an awful lot better tank to make worth it to me to pay much more.

Front pane hangs a little past the ends but that might have to do with the bow front. Back corners aren't perfect but near enough for me. Silicon work looks clean.

SteveU

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Looking around for a good quality substrate to run this low tech it seems the substrate will cost more than the tank and I'll have most of it left over. lol

SteveU

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I was considering a Mr Aqua tank because of the price point. The prices are great, no question about it. But from the photos and criticism I've seen online there seem to be 3 issues. The low iron glass isn't very low iron, if that's a major concern. The glass panels have a fair amount of overlap instead of being even or flush with one another. The silicone seams aren't nearly as pretty as the new ADA tanks.

Speaking of the new ADA tanks, they got much better. I had two 60P tanks I bought a few years back that I wasn't terribly impressed with. They were rimless and the silicone work was neat and even, that's it. I had one glass side that wasn't perfectly even.
However, I just picked up a new 60P and it's really nice. They now have NO silicone visible from the front or back. That's right, none. The glass being used is also much clearer. It was nice being able to compare the new 60P to the old ones.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts