The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So my regulator setup and diffuser are both down, so my tank will be without CO2 for probably the next half a month. Which of these plants will adjust fine, and which of them will struggle and maybe melt away? Luckily, I've kept my plants all low light plants and kept lower lighting even with CO2 (1 T5HO bulb 2.5" above the top of the tank, which is 20" high, standard 55G)

edit: and I know these plants (except maybe stargrass) are capable of growing in non-CO2 tanks, but my question is really what I should expect in this transition period going from being used to CO2 to non-CO2.

L. aromatica
H. tenellum (already struggling even with CO2)
S. subulata (already struggling even with CO2)
L. repens
H. zosterifolia (probably will die)
B. japonica
N. zenkeri
C. wendtii --> should be fine
E. argentinensis
H. micranthemoides
R. rotundifolia

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have stargrass growing in a tub outside and it's doing fine so I wouldn't worry about it. L. aromatica and blyxa would be the two I would worry about personally. You have a couple species listed that I have no experience with however, E. argentinensis and N. zenkeri.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Would it be possible to run the single T5HO on the 55 and not do Co2? I ask because I've been thinking about changing from my two T8 shop lights to this set up.
(I should mention, I don't want to grow light demanding plants)
Sorry for the hijack!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would it be possible to run the single T5HO on the 55 and not do Co2? I ask because I've been thinking about changing from my two T8 shop lights to this set up.
(I should mention, I don't want to grow light demanding plants)
Sorry for the hijack!
Yes it's possible, I did it before I had pressurized with no real algae problems (a little here and there but very controlled and it never survived for very long). I was dosing Excel though. As long as you have the light 20" or more from the top of the substrate (I have mine 2.5" from the top of the tank, which is 20" high, but I have ~3" of substrate so the light ends up being about 20" from the substrate), you should be ok if the reflectors aren't top of the line. If you can put your light 4" above the top of the tank then you can absolutely just run one of the bulbs and be fine. Oh also, having glass tops helps to reduce the light by around 10%, and also the dark hinge on the glass versa tops blocks a ton of my light to a lot of the tank, so I actually think I easily have low light to most of the tank; some parts are even shady.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'm looking at the SunBlaze (or Sun Blaze - can't remember off the top of my head) single fixture. If I get it, I am considering mounting it to the under side of my wood canopy - that would bring it approx 26" above my substrate. The fixtures can be linked together, and I am planning to line two 55g tanks end-to-end, making one long line (wall) of tanks dividing my living room from my kitchen. With this fixture I can link two lights together in a line, one over each tank.
The light is very inexpensive, (less than $50) so if it turns out to be too intense for my needs/wants, it won't be a costly loss. As it is, I only turn the lights on over my tanks for a few hours in the evening when I'm home. I'm thinking it might be ok, and nudge me up from low-low, to medium.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.