The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Marineland C-220. Got it shipped for $89 which I thought was a decent deal. Anything you C-220 owners can share with me that I might want to know prior to arrival? What are your overall thoughts on the filter? I plan on chucking the bio balls and will run the sponge mech media, then floss, then floss and 100 ml bag of purigen, then floss and ceramic and matrix mix. I plan on putting a sponge prefilter on the intake.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Hi thedood,

I run the C-160 on my 20 gallon and the C-220 on my 30 gallon. I use the following starting at the bottom; sponge filters (2 in bottom tray); then I use poly filter floss in the 2nd try, then I use bio-balls in the top two trays. I will sometimes use Purigen with the bio-balls in the top tray if the driftwood has leeched tannins. If the water seems to have a lot of fine particulates I will top off with a polishing pad but that does cut down the flow quickly as it accumulates 'stuff' so I typically only use the pad for a few days. Using matrix instead of bio-balls is fine. With 220GPH the pre-filter will need cleaning at least once a week unless it is a huge pre-filter. These filters are very easy to disconnect from the hose lines and the baskets stack with no issues unless I use too many bio-balls. Getting to the impeller and cleaning it is also easy but be careful with the ceramic impeller shaft, as with most ceramic shafts they can break easily and then I have to purchase a new impeller....I cannot get the shafts separately although I have been checking out some carbon rod at the hobby shop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts