The Planted Tank Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there was sufficient interest from people who wanted to buy Sulawesi shrimp. I painstakinly brought them in early after they were discovered and have been breeding them to sufficient numbers so that they can be distributed in the hobby.

These shrimp were personally imported in different batches and have successfully bred in my tanks. Since they're mixed up in the aquarium, some will be wild caught and some will be captive-bred/tank-raised. I cannot tell which one is which, so you'll be getting a mix of both.

Since there are many names for the shrimp, I'll be going off of this site for descriptions: http://planetinverts.com/shrimp_from_sulawesi.html
I have harlequins, cardinal, slender blue, brown camo, and red goldflake shrimp. Pictures of the actual shrimp will be provided in my thread prior to any sales. This is purely a thread to gauge interest.

Prices will range from $16-20 per shrimp depending on the exact type and quantity, plus shipping. Yes, I know that they're pricey, but this is about the price I paid for them, taking into account customs fees, freight charges, money lost to DOA orders, and not to mention all the headaches and trouble with poor collection techniques when these were first discovered.

Shipping will start at $16 for Priority mail since I will bag only 2-5 shrimp per Kordon Breather Bag and ship in a large flat rate Priority box. I will also ship USPS Express and UPS NDA (next-day air). A no-DOA guarantee will be offered for Express and NDA shipments, but not for Priority shipments. I can only guarantee that the shrimp will arrive to your location alive since they are a sensitive species and I cannot be responsible for your water parameters. Please do diligent research in water parameters and acclimation procedures before you purchase any!

If there is sufficient interest, I will offer a limited number of them and get them ready since it will take at least a week or two. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
These are amazing looking shrimp. I was thinking of buying CPOs in a few weeks to try to start breeding them, maybe I will reconsider. These are much more beautiful and the cost is less.

Have you run into any problems (other than actually getting them) keeping and breeding them?

Did I read plantinverts right in that most or all stay under 1"?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I remember the buzz created when they were discovered. I dont think you will have any problem moving these shrimp. Last year they were what 5 for $115 or something like or like 10 for $200 on Aquabid. The price you are talking is a steal. I would be interested except for the fact that I cant keep any shrimp past RCS alive. :). I am quite sure they would sell with no problem. I just hope for the investment people are putting into this that would consider express shipping.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'd be interested if you are ok with small orders, aka trios. I have my own supplier, but I'd rather have some that are doing well in tank instead of freshly imported. I spent a few hundred last time to have them die due to shipping stress :(.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would love to have some, especially the harlequins- again if you could take small orders. I have a 5.5 gallon planted tank that right now has wild type Neos in it. The Ph is 7.8, KH 6d, GH 12d, temp averages about 80F and I dose Seachem ferts in it. Do you think the Sulawesis would do OK in that type setup? I wouldn't want to get them only to kill them off because the tank's not set up properly for them.

Cdirus

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If you have a good breeding population, you should be able to make a profit even with lower prices. Lower prices would get you more customers.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have a good breeding population, you should be able to make a profit even with lower prices. Lower prices would get you more customers.
Let's just say I'm working with less than two dozen shrimp per variety right now. ;) At $25+ landed cost per shrimp to bring into the United States, even a dozen of each variety carried a big price tag.

I hardly call that a "good breeding population" considering how slowly the wild-caught ones grow and reproduce. I have high hopes for the tank-raised ones that get food and tender loving care at least twice a day. ;)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would like to get a few after my 55 gal finishes it's cycle. I'd probably like to get some slender blue. Maybe 4 or 5 of them.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Just a question...does each variety have to have their own tank? Do they interbreed with each other? Can someone keep two or three varieties in a large tank?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.