The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken a look at some things and discovered that I could probably get by in making some really inexpensive acrylic cube tanks. I would probably do 12"x12"x12" cubes, which would hold 7.48gal of water assuming the inner measurements were 12". Now, there would probably be some small blemishes here and there, maybe somthing I could take care of with that NoVus stuff. Who knows.

So, would anyone be willing to do some trades for these things if I can get them built? (I'd prefer trades) Or what would be seen as fair market value for them? I've seen chaz selling lots of nano's lately.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't built them yet, but the place I found for acrylic sheets gives a good price on shipping so I'd rather get larger sheets of the stuff and make a few of them rather than just make myself one or whatever. Still contemplating actually doing this. Just wanted to know if anyone would be interested in hand built cubes that weren't necessarily flawless production type deals.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you build it... they will come...

There's lots of forums just like this all over the place, even if you can't sell them all on here, jump on aquariacentral or cichlid-forum or any of those and you won't have any problem getting rid of them. What would make it a really sweet deal is if you could get some kind of deal on HOB filters and maybe a clip light and turn it into a package, people would totally snatch those up! Check if you have a local salvage or unclaimed freight for the filters and lights, you might be able to get a deal if you get like 10 or something.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
I'd be down, depending on quality of the build. We're talking frameless, yeah? Are you the guy with the tall lowtech cubish tank? I've got some tall anubias (16") I might part with or an apon boliv.

if you build it they will come... ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yah, I'm the one with the 24" low-tech Cube tank. :)

So far I've been pricing them out, and for 1/8" or 3/16" material (havent decided yet), with shipping, the materials would be under $20, and it would just be time after that. I can't imagine its that hard to build them. I've worked with acrylic before, but not to the perfection I'd want with an aquarium. I was also thinking about maybe building an inclusive filter setup with a fake wall in the back and a very small powerhead used as a sort of all in one filter tank setup.

If I didn't have to pay off the furniture for the apartment I'd already have ordered the materials. I have to save an extra few hundred bucks a month so play money is really tight right now. Maybe I'll sell off my HOB filter for funding.

As for pricing, I'd really like to keep it inexpensive.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If you have artistic, craftsmanship ability, you'll be able to do it. I'm sure it will generate a lot of interest. Who hasn't thought about starting up another aquarium? With a nano, a lot of the issues that prevent you from having another aquarium go away. I'd definitely be interested.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
If you have artistic, craftsmanship ability, you'll be able to do it. I'm sure it will generate a lot of interest. Who hasn't thought about starting up another aquarium? With a nano, a lot of the issues that prevent you from having another aquarium go away. I'd definitely be interested.
I agree. I am Nano happy right now so if you start I will have to save up my money :)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Yah, I'm the one with the 24" low-tech Cube tank. :)

So far I've been pricing them out, and for 1/8" or 3/16" material (havent decided yet), with shipping, the materials would be under $20, and it would just be time after that. I can't imagine its that hard to build them. I've worked with acrylic before, but not to the perfection I'd want with an aquarium. I was also thinking about maybe building an inclusive filter setup with a fake wall in the back and a very small powerhead used as a sort of all in one filter tank setup.

If I didn't have to pay off the furniture for the apartment I'd already have ordered the materials. I have to save an extra few hundred bucks a month so play money is really tight right now. Maybe I'll sell off my HOB filter for funding.

As for pricing, I'd really like to keep it inexpensive.
That price is very fair, I would say $25-$30 because your time is worth something too! If they're framless they will sell no problem. And They would work great for racks... Maybe if I like them enough I'll try using them for a rack thats in the works (inside my head...)

So yeah I wanna see some product!

-Andrew

·
Registered
889 Posts
That price is very fair, I would say $25-$30 because your time is worth something too! If they're framless they will sell no problem. And They would work great for racks... Maybe if I like them enough I'll try using them for a rack thats in the works (inside my head...)

So yeah I wanna see some product!

-Andrew
I think he meant the materials will cost HIM $20, he is just trying to see how much he will charge US for the tanks by calculating in his money spent on materials ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think he meant the materials will cost HIM $20, he is just trying to see how much he will charge US for the tanks by calculating in his money spent on materials ;)
Yep, materials would cost ME ~$20 for each cube shipped to my door. I gotta look in more places for material, see if I can get a better deal. Had I known this would generate this much interest I would have done it long ago. My original idea for building my own was because I cannot find one thats 18"x18"x18", thats nearly the perfect size, not too small, not too big. Comes out to 5832cu in. Divide by 231 (cu. in. per gallon) and you get 25.25 gallons.

I'll see if I can scrape together some funding for this guys. I have to read up on how to finish edges of arcylic and making sure the material thickness will hold the amount of water safely without deflection. You guys think that 12" cubes are a good size?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd probably be interested, 12" cubes is a good size, but I'd be even more interested if you could make them a little smaller... alot of bettas and ADF's take up alot of space unless you go with rather small tanks. I'm thinking somewhere in the 2-5gal range if that's something youd be interested in working with.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I'd probably be interested, 12" cubes is a good size, but I'd be even more interested if you could make them a little smaller... alot of bettas and ADF's take up alot of space unless you go with rather small tanks. I'm thinking somewhere in the 2-5gal range if that's something youd be interested in working with.
That means there less materials and cheaper. That is a great Idea Virgo. A 5g ADF tank would be nice. I only see Hex's, Sectagonal, and corners. If you would make them in various sizes you may get a larger crowd :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
O'Yeah :bounce:

12"Cube would be really nice. I would defiantly be interested.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.