The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had planted tanks for a few years now. I've never had leaves turn like the ones in this tank have. Any ideas what the issue is?? The only thing that is different in this tank than my others is that I have a piece of wood in it. Does the wood leaching have something to do with this?

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No ideas of what is causing the brown leaves?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Looks like lack of nutrient and light. If you are using CFL lighting, they go dim after a while and need replacing. Without knowing anything else about your tank, just by looking, I'd add light and liquid fertilizer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm running the stock led fixture that came with it. This tank has done very well in the past with other plants. I can say that the light always does look dimmer now because of the wood dyes leaching into the water. I only run the light for 7 hours like my other tanks. I do have a bottle of flourish excel I've never opened. I'll try dosing and an extra hour of light and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm running the stock led fixture that came with it. This tank has done very well in the past with other plants. I can say that the light always does look dimmer now because of the wood dyes leaching into the water. I only run the light for 7 hours like my other tanks. I do have a bottle of flourish excel I've never opened. I'll try dosing and an extra hour of light and see what happens.
Yea, by the picture it's hard to tell, but tannins really cut light. I've never had luck with stock LED's. I would also pull that top off and clip on some desk lamps with CFL's. They grow plants very well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yellowing of leaves is nitrogen deficiency. do you have fish in the other tanks that you feed? the fish food/waste contributes a small amount to some of the nutrient the plants receive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I've had planted tanks for a few years now. I've never had leaves turn like the ones in this tank have. Any ideas what the issue is?? The only thing that is different in this tank than my others is that I have a piece of wood in it. Does the wood leaching have something to do with this?
Hi DMAXNAZ,

Wow, this is the second post in two days concerning this subject. When I first experienced it a few years ago I thought I was the only one but there have been several hobbyists since then.

At first I thought it might be caused by some plant disease but it seemed to only affect the leaves of the java ferns (Microsorum pteropus). I have two types of java ferns in my 30 gallon, Windelov and Trident, and both would show the necrosis in sections of the leaves. Eventually most (if not all) of the leaves on a rhizome would die back leaving just the green rhizome. After a couple of weeks new leaves would spout from the rhizome and everything would look good until the next outbreak.

After dealing with the issue for 3 years I believe AWolf is correct in that it is a nutrient deficiency. At first I tried the obvious nutrient for a similar issue - potassium (K) but increasing the potassium level alone seemed to have no effect. Then I tried increasing the calcium (Ca) level and didn't really see any improvement either. Lastly I tried increasing the magnesium level (Mg/Epsom Salt) and that seemed to help, especially if I increased my dosing of DIY Equilibrium to up the K and Ca at the same time.

I don't know for sure but I think the soft water we have here in Seattle may be contributing to the problem. If I slack off on dosing higher levels of Equilibrium along with extra Epsom salt when doing water changes the problem seems to come back. It is springtime and there is a lot of rain and snow melt occurring and the hardness levels of water supplies can decrease during this period. The good news is with added K, Ca, and Mg I have not had a re-occurrence of the necrosis/melt in over a year; I used to have it happen two or three times a year.

Here are a few threads that may help you:
TPT a couple days ago
TPT 2011

TPT 2011
TPT 2012

Here is what my java ferns looked like when they were just starting to show the problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I have had fish on and off in here since it was moved a couple months ago. The substrate is old in here. Over a year at least. I have been using this as a quarantine tank for the last couple months. I only have 3 ghost shrimp in it now. I did start the fourish is excel a few days ago and added an hour of light. I'll see how this goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts