The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I recently have purchased 4 more Serpae Tetra to go along with my other 2 Serpae Tetra i already have. To put a wrench in the system I have a Betta. The Betta got along with the 2 tetra prior to adding these other 4 I bought today.

I am wondering if there is anything i can do to get the tetra to stop nipping at the Betta's fins (nipping is not a lot but noticeable). Below are shots of my tank and tetra. Please pay no attention to the bag...I'm introducing my Betta last due to the territory issue Betta's have.

If worst comes to worst, I will take back the 4 Serpae Tetra i bought recently and get something else....I just don't know what (suggestions?!?!)

Please help me in what I could do to make the tetra leave the beautiful Betta alone. Below you'll find my tank set up with live plants except for the grass in front of the rocks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
From the times I have had them, larger schools, 8+ have been not that nippy. Serpae tetras can be total brats, I'd say up their numbers to 8 if you can, and see if the aggression stops. If not, either pull the betta and give him his own home, or donate all of the tetras to a LFS or ROKA them to someone.

Sometimes adding more hiding spots/plants can also help.

Also how big of tank do you have?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
There could be several reasons why your bettas not acting like him self. One of mine throws a fit if hes in anything larger than a 10 gallon and just sits at the bottom all day. Then again, I get stuck with strange bettas a lot. He could also be stressing from the tetras being brats, or the flow on your filter could be to strong for him to cruse around the tank.

For a quick and easy hiding spot, head down to petsmart and pick up some fake plants for the mean time, and then replace them real ones. I'd personally take out the lg decoration in the back and replace it with a tall plant or some sort. Something that was full and bushy, but has enough room for the fish to swim threw it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your help, Its a learning experience everyday for me here. Ive been keeping a close eye on my tank and the tetra have since calmed themselves a bit for now, but I also want the Betta to be able to swim freely with no worries of the tetra.

I guess a heavier planted tank might do some justice?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thanks for your help, Its a learning experience everyday for me here. Ive been keeping a close eye on my tank and the tetra have since calmed themselves a bit for now, but I also want the Betta to be able to swim freely with no worries of the tetra.

I guess a heavier planted tank might do some justice?

More plants are never a bad thing ; )

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That's a pretty small tank for what you're trying to accomplish. Serpae tetra's are going to chase other fish unless there are plenty of them and plenty of room for them to chase each other. I ended up with 15 in my 75g before they left my 2 veil tail Pinoy Angels alone

·
Super Moderator
16,963 Posts
Hyphessobrycon eques has a reputation for being aggressing and nipping fins.

The easiest route is to return all of them and stick with smaller, more peaceful species if you're keeping them with a Betta. Do some research on suitable Betta tank mates if you hope to keep something else in the tank or consider giving him his own tank, as previously suggested.

It would also help if your tank was densely planted with real plants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.