The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've attached a few photos of my boyfriend's tank. We were wondering what these plants are (everything except for the Anubias, Java Fern, Banana-thing, and the Lucky Bamboo).

The redish plant and the green-striped one in the photo by itself have very similar roots to the lucky bamboo, and their leaves grow out similarly.. but I have never seen these plants fully submersed (only in terrariums, and then I still don't know of the names).

If possible, and not too much trouble, could you guys give me the names? I can look up the information about the individual plants after that.

Thanks a ton!

Edit:

Okay... finally have the photos! I hope all the links work for you guys! thanks again.

1. Random Plant 1

2. Random Plant 2

Left of tank

Middle of tank

Right of tank

Tiny little christmas tree (photo sideways!)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure if you post a photo!
Haha! I was in a discussion at the time of posting (took me 45 minutes just to do so), and completely forgot once I finally pressed the send button.

I'll have to put them on tomorrow, as I am now on a different computer 15 minutes away!

haha, absentmindedness :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Updated the main post with photos!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello,

I think I can help.

1. looks like a Dracena. No aquatic plant and will die after ca. 3 month.
2. looks like a Cordyline. No aquatic plant and will die after ca. 4-8 weeks.
6. Bolbitis heudelotii. That is an aquatic plant.

--Nix

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From looking up other bolbitis heudelotii, this does not appear to be the plant in photo 6. The plant here has brown, very firm stems, and the roots almost seem nonexistent - they are more or less a big clump of the same hard stem-like material. the green bits remind me of some sort of java or xmass moss the way they fan out, and almost have a thin-plastic like feel.

·
Registered
764 Posts
1. looks like a Dracena. No aquatic plant and will die after ca. 3 month.
2. looks like a Cordyline. No aquatic plant and will die after ca. 4-8 weeks.
I agree with these, Dracaena & Cordyline.
I think in pic. 3, the 2nd big plant from the left is not aquatic either. Seems to me like a Hemigraphis sp.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Draceana and Cordyline for sure
that frn, IMO is NOT Bolbitis.. It is terrestrial and will rot as well. These shouldn't be in your tank...they are doomed in there.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree that these are not true aquatics and will rot over time. Also include your "Lucky Bamboo" in this category. Unfortunately, many pet stores are not knowledgeable about plants and sell this crap to unsuspecting people. Get yourself a better fish store or order online (or better yet, check out the Swap n Shop section of this forum!).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Draceana and Cordyline for sure
that frn, IMO is NOT Bolbitis.. It is terrestrial and will rot as well. These shouldn't be in your tank...they are doomed in there.

I didn't think the two were aquatic either - they're the plants that I always see for terreriums.. but I couldn't find any information on them since I didn't actually know what they are called. It was also misleading, because they had little tags that said "aquatic assortment". I think whoever shipped out the plants sent out the wrong tags as well.

They're all now potted in german beer classes on a window sill =)

I agree that these are not true aquatics and will rot over time. Also include your "Lucky Bamboo" in this category. Unfortunately, many pet stores are not knowledgeable about plants and sell this crap to unsuspecting people. Get yourself a better fish store or order online (or better yet, check out the Swap n Shop section of this forum!).
I never realized that lucky bamboo could not be fully submerged! The one in this tank (boyfriend's), was in my vase/tank at one point, but the leaves were always above water, and they started sending out roots from the curves in the plant. I'll have ot have him take those out!

Thanks for everybody's help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.