The Planted Tank Forum banner

Any good LFS around Portland, ME?

5201 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  sink
as the title states, any good shops in the area?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
The Black Shark in Lewiston is worth checking out. I went there a few months ago and they had a fair number of unusual fish like celestial pearl danios, discus, various gouramis and cats that you don't see at the stores around Portland.
Agreed. An excellent store.

More locally the best I've found so far is the Pet Quarters by the mall. They have a lot of tanks and more gourami and cichlids than you'd expect from a non-specialty store. Prices on livestock are quite good. The Bad: The markup on equipment etc is ridiculous, and fish health can be very hit or miss. Both standard for big generic pet stores, but that isn't really any excuse.

· Registered
148 Posts
Just an update:

The PetLife (formerly The Kennel Store) just over the bridge in SoPo has a small selection of fish, but they tend to have different stuff from other stores in the area. Stuff like Kuhli Loaches and rarer tetras, and some interesting cichlids. Excellent prices on livestock too. Can't attest to health, but everything looked fine, no overstocked tanks, and a pair of Kribs had free-swimming fry in one of the tanks. Worth a look if you're shopping for fish locally...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.