The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I have a nice little organic garden growing with absolutely no pesticides or any other chemicals:icon_mrgr and I was wondering what veggies/greens you all have found your shrimps like best. My beets are just about done so I'll have a good ammount of beet greens/beets very soon. Anyone have experience with these? What about rainbow chard or kale. All of these greens are a bit tougher than Spincach so maybe blanching them a bit more before putting them in would help allow the shrimps to tear em up?

Also what about non greens; veggies like carrots, soybeans, tomatoes and string beans? I like knowing exactly what goes into my tank so id love to use as much as possible from my own garden. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Basically, I have a nice little organic garden growing with absolutely no pesticides or any other chemicals:icon_mrgr and I was wondering what veggies/greens you all have found your shrimps like best. My beets are just about done so I'll have a good ammount of beet greens/beets very soon. Anyone have experience with these? What about rainbow chard or kale. All of these greens are a bit tougher than Spincach so maybe blanching them a bit more before putting them in would help allow the shrimps to tear em up?

Also what about non greens; veggies like carrots, soybeans, tomatoes and string beans? I like knowing exactly what goes into my tank so id love to use as much as possible from my own garden. Thanks for your help!
Hello, my RCS will eat blanched stringbeans as readily as spinach so those should be safe! You would need to weigh them down with zip ties or they stay floating :O

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
They'll happily eat virtually any greens you might want to try on them. I feed turnip greens fairly often. You can feed very thin slices of carrots (translucent-thin.) I'd avoid tomatoes just because they are probably going to decompose into a mass of goo fairly quickly and will grow into bacteria farms otherwise.

Generally people avoid feeding anything with much starch/sugar content. I'd try the beet greens and give the beets themselves a pass.

·
Super Moderator
16,937 Posts
I find it easier to remove uneaten veggies after a couple hours if I don't slice them translucent-thin.

Blanched carrot holds up particularly well and I always remove uneaten portions after an hour or two. Never had an issue with water parameters in any tank with that method.

Just avoid broccoli - it's a disaster.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! Sounds like I should be good to try some beet greens and kale soon. In about a month Ill have some purple carrots that I might try as well. I just harvested some edamame (soybeans) and peppers anyone ever have luck with them? Also what about pumpkin? Its getting to be the season and its just a big orange squash right?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've tried cucumbers, yellow squash and green beans.

My red cherry shrimp hardly bothered with the cucumber or green beans but when I tried the squash it was like using catnip on cats! The shrimp were fighting over it, and although its was yellow it looked like RED SQUASH!

The shrimp attacked it in droves!

HTH,

Marty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.