The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my big Spring cleaning on my tiny yard (20'x40'), and hauled out 5 trash bags full of yard waste. I'd have preferred composting it, but that's not an option here, so into the dumpster it went. Since I might be moving out this summer, I've decided to go light with planting stuff. So far radishes and broccoli rabe are the only things I've planted, although if I get my hands on some spinach, I'll add that. I'm just hoping it stays cool enough for cold-weather crops, and that it quits frosting sooner than normal (last frost here is usually May-June).

I plant in my flower beds, since that's the only space I've got, so I try to not let my veggies look terrible. My unexpected favorite has been icebox watermelon. They not only look quite attractive (to me at least) as vines, but they grow fantastic here during the summer. I've done Sugar Baby the last 3 years, but last year I also tried Early Moonbeam, which seemed to work out better. I also had access to a huge student garden last year, so I had plenty of room to let the melons grow out...or at least I would have, if there weren't 5 types of squash planted nearby.

Anyways, are there other gardeners here excited for Spring?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Heck yes!
I have an acre with a variety of flower and vegetable gardens. I'm about to start some of my vegetables inside. They get moved outside to cold frames sometime in April and then planted in the garden the end of May or early June.
I have a a LOT of cleanup to do.

Gotta go now, but I'll be back.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got some veggie seeds I'm wanting to give away, would any of ya'll be interested in radishes (mixed varieties), purple bush beans (grew fantastic in drought conditions and clay soil), and Early Moonbeam watermelons (great for northern areas)? I'm trying to do this as an ROAK on Facebook, but there's only been a tiny bit of interest, so I'll try here too.

Also, indoor container gardening ftw. Got rid of my emersed plant bin, and instead I have this (ignore the ugly light shade):

-4 little gem lettuce (one a nearly mature head)
-1 pot of basil
-green onions & thyme
-1 sprouted garlic (decent garlic substitute & use for sprouted garlic)
-4 broccoli rabe plants
-a baby coffee tree
Ornamentals:
-citronella geranium
-arrowhead sp.
-one teeeny tiny anubias petite

All with a 23 watt (100 watt equivilant) CFL bulb. I'm mostly using self watering planters as well, these are pretty narrow, so I can fit a lot under the bulb.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Cabbage is in soil. Corn is started as are maters, eggplant, cukes, peppers. Should be in ground 2 more weeks. Come middle of June it's over. Broccoli Rabe. My fav.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Me, and the lady are already planning this years stuff can't wait. Check your local transfer station/town dump. A lot of them have free compost to take for permit holders as well as mulch.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Latest studies are showing companion planting is a myth.

I'll do it anyway myself.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I call it a impenetrable fortress of aphid death. Not so much companion planting. If you can grow broccoli or eggplant without aphids your doing the impossible. I personally grow organic no pesticides, and never have an issue with aphids when I plant a merigold next to said plants.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty much organic too. Aphids are pretty easy with a blast of H2O or safer Soap. I've even gone so far as making my own preparations to keep it organic.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Here was the year before lasts rahbi , broccoli, lettuce pre summer crop. Radish carrots etc. Ohhh lots of spinach. I only fertilize fish emulsion. uploadfromtaptalk1394423189265.jpg

Hehe yea I love me some onions and garlic.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty much organic too. Aphids are pretty easy with a blast of H2O or safer Soap. I've even gone so far as making my own preparations to keep it organic.
I've used the organic soaps before didn't really work for me so I haven't used it since. Merigolds work for me I dunno.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only aphid problems I have are on my 1 pepper plant (been overwintering it), and on my irises and lettuce outdoors. Since I've been growing stuff indoors, I've only had to deal with light amounts of aphids on my pepper, and none on my lettuce, yay

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm actually in the process of prepping my gardening area for hops this year... Going to see if I can get a bunch of cascade growing well. If I can manage I'll try and get into different varieties next year. Fingers crossed!

I managed to plant 2 dwarf apple trees last spring that are doing quite well and seem to have survived the winter judging by the buds I am starting to see on their branches. Vegetable gardening was a complete disaster last year... Carrots, tomatoes, squash, kale, pumpkin, etc, etc, etc... I had a late start and tried starting directly from seed in the garden. Learned my lesson, starting indoor early this year and planting seedlings as soon as the frost breaks this spring!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I garden...non-edibles mostly. I have a second story balcony I've into a bird foraging site (manager made me take it down, too many birds liking the seed LOL, today's world, geez....), into a pretty decorative potted plant balcony with a wind-chime and hummingbird feeder. I'm constantly making improvements, and my experience is starting to show through plant shape and pot design. I could show you if I have a camera, but sadly, I do not :icon_cry: ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts