The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
That is a lot of money for a 30 gallon tank.
If minimal hardware showing is your goal, I suggest a bottom drilled tank and a stand to hide the workings. Potentially a lot less money for a lot better filtration if you use a good canister.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I own a 75G system II tank so I can share some of my observations:

They are well made and almost un-breakable because they are acrylic. Of course you have to be careful to avoid scratches. You can put heater and other equipment in the back so they are out of sight. One good thing about this kind of design is that you don't have to worry about water leaking caused by pipe or pump failure as it sometimes happens to tank with sump situated below the tank. The return pump also does not have to be very powerful because of reduced head height.

However, there are also disadvantages. First, the sump took some of the depth away so the tank is not very deep front to back which can limit your scape. I also have to put something on the skimmer (filter input) to avoid fishes get sucked in. The brace in the center can also be a concern if you want to have a tank with open top.

You can usually find a good used one at much lower price. They last for a very long time so just be careful to get one with no leak and minimum scratches.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Acrylic are nice tanks until they scratch, and I've seen far too many of those. If you're looking to put some real money into a nice looking tank, I'd suggest low iron/starphire glass.

If you don't want to risk bottom drilling your tank, or having a professional to do it, you can eliminate all but two tubes in the corner of the tank using in-line heating and some loc-line. It takes some planning, but the results look pretty good.

-Philosophos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts