The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have six adults, all of whom had paired up in a heavily-planted 90-gallon tank. I removed one pair and put them in a 29-gallon (also heavily planted) and they successfully spawned and now I also have about 30 6-month-old juveniles. Currently there are four angels (2M/2F) in the 90-gallon tank; one spawning pair, and about 25 juveniles, in a lightly-planted 55; and seven juveniles in the 29-gallon. I will give away/sell/get LFS credit when removing any angelfish.

To make what I just described simpler:
90-gallon tank: Two adult pairs and other tetras and cories. The adults spawn regularly, but their tank mates eat the eggs and the sparring is limited to brief territorial disputes. No eggs is what I want!
55-gallon tank: One pair of adults spawning; 25 juveniles blithely staying on the opposite side, easily avoiding the adult's chasing them away from the spawn (I will remove the spawn as I don't want more angels for now).
29-gallon tank: Seven juveniles: no problems for now.

I will get rid of young angels that I don't want and I will probably also remove at least one of the adult couples. I will retain at most four of the best juveniles.

Now, FINALLY, to my question: Since I know their sexes, can I keep three males in the 90 and three females in the 55? Or is it a typical cichlid crapshoot? All six adults are typically aggressive as sexed pairs. Interestingly, the most aggressive one is the smallest adult female, mated with the largest male, who is probably the mellowest of the males, though I wouldn't call him easygoing!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Single sex Angelfish will be fine together. Once they have established the pecking order there should be no problems. The females might lay a batch of eggs once in a while but there obviously will be no babies. When you want babies take a male and a female and put them in their own tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll just go ahead and see how it goes with the single-sex tanks. I'll update in a few weeks, if not sooner. Hopefully not sooner, because that would probably be bad news.

I moved the male to the 90 with the other two males. There was a little aggression, but not bad. I moved the two females to the 55. The female already there was hyper-aggressive, even though her eggs were already removed. Moved her to the 29 where she looks lost and alone with the seven juveniles, but at least everybody has calmed down. The 25 juveniles in the 55 were getting more harassed by the M/F breeders, of course, but now with two new females in there, everybody is keeping to their own damn business.

90: three adult males, doing fine
55: two adult females, 25 juveniles, also doing fine
29: one female, 7 juveniles, also doing fine

Next step: getting rid of a bunch of angels and no more breeding for a long while!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

90: Three adult males, two are buddies, the biggest one is more of a loner and will chase the others away, but not doing any damage.
55: I moved the female that was in the 29 back into the 55 with the other two females; after 3 or 4 days, she is still be being chased around the tank by the other two, though she hasn't been injured. I was hoping they would be schooling together, but that's not happening yet. The juveniles are fine and do whatever the hell they want--they are stupidly fearless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts