The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got these cardinals that I've probably started too many threads over, but everyone tells me that 74-78 degrees would not produce good results, but, whatayaknow, all 9 of my cardinals look great, not a single death, and they are playing, eating, and just seem fine. I wonder if it could because there are two species circulating out there or perhaps these are captive breed...?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
As long as you acclimate them properly, they should be fine. I would keep the water in the high 70s, though.

·
Registered
712 Posts
for what it's worth, i keep mine at lower temps 72-74 degF on average. i've maintained them this way for many years. since we live by the beach where it's cool year round and because i'm too cheap to keep my heaters running with high duty cycle, i set the heater controls fairly low. as long as you acclimate them properly, they should be fine at lower temps. then again, i've never had the cardinals breed in my tank even though every other inhabitant (pencilfish, emperor tetra, etc) has breed prolifically. i say, as long as they are robust, vibrant, eating well, etc then you are good.

·
Registered
269 Posts
High 70's is fine for general maintenance but you will need to bump it up if your goal is to try and breed them. Breeding cardinals is not easy and even though they would spawn in my planted tanks it took me a couple of years and a lot of research before I was able to raise the fry.

I always try to give my fish the best care and offer optimal conditions for them to thrive. That is why I am so fascinated with breeding fish because by doing so you will get them to spawn and have healthy fry to raise.

Bruce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts