The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my fish store has some wild blue tetras. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them or advise on them. They're not in any of my books and the only thing I have been able to find online is they may be timid.

·
Registered
825 Posts
extremely active top dweller fish, reminded me alot of danios

I keep about 2 dozen of them with my angelfish

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have kept a school of Boehlkea fredcochui and they are the most active energetic tetra I have ever kept. They are as fast as Danios and are assertive, not aggressive but they certainly were more self assured than any of my other tetras and did establish a territory they tended to keep others out of. I think they are best kept in a larger tank (at least 20G or more) due to their fast and constant swimming. Very beautiful fish though, I adore their colour but I prefer the calmer tetras behavior. The larger school the better as I found when their numbers went down they became more skittish, lost some colour and hid more.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
if you like the activity Kaylee described, take a look at;
Royal Black Emperor Tetra - Nematobrycon palmeri
which I have a school of, and behave similar to blues.

their coloring changes from orange to blue when light hits them from different angles.
as they mature their fin tips darken, and males eventually get longer more elaborate fins.
they like to school against a water current in a clear unobstructed area of the tank.
mine are not territorial, but they are curious and clever similar in nature to tiger barbs.

·
Registered
786 Posts
i've had the blue tetras a couple times (Boelkea fredcochui) and I agree, VERY active, middle to top swimmer, needs to be in a good size school, could be timid at times and seemed happier in dimmer tanks or places with shade. One of the bigger types of tetras and really seemed to like soft water with low pH. When they're happy, they are really GORGEOUS.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've never kept Blue Tetras, but considered them before and have a friend that has a school. She mentioned to me that the longer the tank, the better. They wouldn't do well in a small tank because of their activity level (high). I'm sure they are pretty entertaining, much like danios with their energy.

Spypet, those Emporer tetras are beautiful. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for the information. The emperor tetras are quite pretty. I will have to see if any place around here has them. I have a new 55gal tall tank that has been set up and planted for a month and am trying to find the right combination of fish for it. I have two small black angels and two small whiptail cats that I think I am going to move in soon. I am looking for a fish for the upper and mid levels of the tank. It looks like the emperor or the blue tetras will work as long as I have enough.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
if you like the activity Kaylee described, take a look at;
Royal Black Emperor Tetra - Nematobrycon palmeri
which I have a school of, and behave similar to blues.

their coloring changes from orange to blue when light hits them from different angles.
as they mature their fin tips darken, and males eventually get longer more elaborate fins.
they like to school against a water current in a clear unobstructed area of the tank.
mine are not territorial, but they are curious and clever similar in nature to tiger barbs.

Those are very pretty, Joey

1 - 12 of 12 Posts