The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen the picture linked before about the males having a little flap near their eyes. But I cant get close enough to actually see it on my snails.

Is there an easier way to tell if one is a female? Currently I have one riding on top of another (is it safe to assume the bottom one is female?) and its been going on for awhile now.

I need to separate out the female, I cant stand all the eggs in my main tank. Every plant is covered. Very ugly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have seen the picture linked before about the males having a little flap near their eyes. But I cant get close enough to actually see it on my snails.

Is there an easier way to tell if one is a female? Currently I have one riding on top of another (is it safe to assume the bottom one is female?) and its been going on for awhile now.

I need to separate out the female, I cant stand all the eggs in my main tank. Every plant is covered. Very ugly.
I've never had luck being able to identify them by sight.

And I wouldn't assume the riding is a sign of their sexes either since females will lay eggs either way whether fertilized or not...one may just be cleaning the other.

Best bet is probably to separate them if you can, then see which continues laying eggs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts