The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Been doing some reading/research for lighting my 92 gallon corner tank. When it comes to lighting, Im finding some of the suggestions are VERY expensive. I’ve decided to take the DIY approach and see what’s recommended. Have any of you went the DIY approach with success? If so, can you share your ideas? I would like to keep my canopy if at all possible. Thanks for any help you can provide....

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
Hello, Been doing some reading/research for lighting my 92 gallon corner tank. When it comes to lighting, Im finding some of the suggestions are VERY expensive. I’ve decided to take the DIY approach and see what’s recommended. Have any of you went the DIY approach with success? If so, can you share your ideas? I would like to keep my canopy if at all possible. Thanks for any help you can provide....
Plenty of people had success w/ diy w/ both reef and fw led lighting.
Biggest issues are 1) making one look good but inside a hood unnecessary. And 2) Actually making it cheaper than a commercial fixture though usually gain the advantage of easy maintenance/ repair and/ or a tailored solution to ones needs/ wants .

Sort of obvious is corner tanks or odd shaped ones can benefit from diy the most really

You need to define needs/wants and tank dimensions including space restrictions ie height off water before designs are considered.

Simplist and cheapest solution is high powered cobs .
Once one ventures into multi- channel arrays w/ quality leds chances of a cheap solution sort of evaporates.

One possible exceptions is w larger tanks since leds themselves are relatively cheap and support hardware isn't much more expensive as you scale up

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.