The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any nice discus breeders around Homewood, Illinois? Most of the stores around here are over priced; $50. Tomorrow I'm getting a blue discus from my LFS that is closing at the end of the month for only $15. So, are there any good breeders around here that sell for less than $35?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ooops. I didn't see this one. The closest to Homewood would probably be JJ Discus in Lockport. His buddy operates their Carol Stream location. The next recommended is Bill and Absolute Discus in Naperville. I prefer you contact Bill first, since he has allot of discus at a fare price. JJ discus has a little more expensive discus. In actuallity, you may even find people selling discus, who are not real reputable discus breeders. I'm not saying these guys are selling bad discus, but most discus keepers keep a big group of discus, which eventually pair up and spawn. So they may occassionally have and sell the babies. JJ Discus & Absolute discus actually sell and breed discus and have been for a long time.

Also, check out SimplyDiscus.com. It's a good resource for discus info and allot of the breeders go there to sell/show their discus.

BTW, which LFS is closing by you?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. Now I won't have to spend $60 on a discus at my other LFS.

Petpourri Pet Shop is closing.
1861 Dixie Highway
Homewood, IL 60430
(708)957-5522

EDIT: Does Absolute Discus have a website, and what is the address/phone number?

·
Registered
594 Posts
check out the sponsor page on the simplydiscus site for someone close. They have some top notch breeders there.

Tina

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I forgot to mention to also check out http://www.gcca.net/classifieds. People who keep discus and happen to get a successful spawn will often sell them there. You may find good bargains there.

Bill at Absolute Discus and Jack at JJ Discus do not usually take photos of their discus. Both usually gets shipment in, so it's best to just call them up, find out when they are available and stop by and visit. Don't be afraid to mention that you are new with discus. They would help you out as far as tips, info, etc. And as I mentioned, Simplydiscus.com is a good resource.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts