The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in HongKong, and the equipments here are crazy cheap. (ADA 9L for less than $15!!!)
Unfortunately, the lighting fixtures and electric equipments doesn't work for Canada due to difference in voltage.

But I am wondering if there is any difference in the fluorescent light bulbs itself between the 2 different voltage.

Can I purchase bulbs here and use it in North America 110v fixture? I am looking at mainly compact fluorescent straight pins bulb (12" 18w & 20" 55w)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Only thing different I can think of with light bulbs is their sockets and wattage. As long as the ballasts are correct, the bulbs will light.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I agree that the bulbs are almost certainly identical, as long we are considering only fluorescent bulbs, or any other bulb that runs off of a ballast. It is the ballast that is different for different voltages. And, for fluorescent bulbs, for any given type, T12, T5HO, etc., the wattage depends only on the bulb length.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.