The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if I need to buy a baby duck for my Aquarium or something because I have this duckweek which hitch hiked from a plant I got from a fish farm.

Now this stuff has taken over my aquarium and blocked out the lights for my plants and blanketed the surface.

Is there any stopping this stuff?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I am not sure if I need to buy a baby duck for my Aquarium or something because I have this duckweek which hitch hiked from a plant I got from a fish farm.

Now this stuff has taken over my aquarium and blocked out the lights for my plants and blanketed the surface.

Is there any stopping this stuff?
Use a shop vac and skim the surface.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made a surface skimmer out of an old power head and a Pepsi bottle stuffed with filter floss and I never had a problem with it after that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I swear this duckweed will appear overnight.

I spend hours with a net filtering every last duckweed and I come back the next morning and the surface is filled with it again.

I don't know if they hide underwater then come to the surface or grow out of microscopic leaves invisible to the human eye but wow, this stuff is hard to kill.

Any fish eat this stuff?

Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few minutes each day of netting it out always works for me.

Have you been able to stop it for good or do you have to do this everyday just to keep the problem in check?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Have you been able to stop it for good or do you have to do this everyday just to keep the problem in check?

Thanks

Once it's gone, it's gone. You have to be diligent and make sure you get it all out. Then make sure of it for the next couple of days, by going back, and take out any speck of anything floating. It's worked for me to completely eliminate it many times. Then I get dumb again, and don't rinse off new plants. :grin2:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I pick it out with tweezers almost every day just to keep it in check.My angelfish don't seem to care about eating it at all.it came in on some plants I stupidly put in without quarantining,and now have bits of it in all my tanks.

·
Registered
791 Posts
+1 on daily netting. I had duckweed once. Hated it. Probably took daily netting for a week to get rid of it. I'd suggest you check daily until you don't see any for a week before stopping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.