The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit to being addicted to coffee. I find nothing better in the morning than a steaming hot cup of coffee in the morning. My wife and I roast our own green coffee beans. My favorite weve roasted thus far is beans from Costa Rica Tarrazu La Pastora Coopetarrazu. So to all of you coffee connoisseurs out there what is your favorite?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hi Dood I have to admit that my love for coffee goes back to when I first started work in coolers and drank coffee just to feel warmer and it was some of the worst you can imagine but now it just regular dark roast Maxwell house or McD's but i'm not that far if you want to send me some to heighten my appreciation LOL

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Doogy262 I would create a monster if I did that. A friend I work with is not a coffee drinker but his wife is. I turned them on to some coffee I roasted and now they actually buy coffee from me and he has started drinking it with his wife. I can send you some but I would probably create a monster. Are you married or living with a significant other? If so they would despise me for creating a coffee frankenstein lol ;). It is that much different and that good. Its like the difference between a fast food burger and one you cook on the grill yourself. Night and day. My name is thedood and I am a coffeeholic.

Bump:
Ethiopian Yirgacheffe from Counter Culture coffee. They roast for you and send next day mail.
Ive roasted it. I blended it with Costa Rican and made iced coffee with it. I admit I didnt like it as well alone but for my palate it was quite good blended and cold brewed in a french press.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I caught the coffee bug a while back and now I don't like drinking anything more than three weeks past roast date.

Properly prepared coffee really tastes very different from the normal fare, its almost a different drink entirely.

I don't roast, but I prefer espresso which brings its own set of complexities.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thedood,

do you drink your coffee with cream or black? what water are you using? RO water?
I drink mine with cream only. I use International Delight flavored creams. I really like the cold stone creamery flavor. A good flavored cream in my opinion really can compliment the flavor of a coffee. If you get a cup of Cafe Verona from BigBucks (starbucks) and eat it with a chocolate donut you will really see what I mean. That coffee is really enhanced with chocolate.

As for water I use straight tap. I am lucky as the mineral content of our water makes really good coffee. I can make coffee at home, take the same beans and brew it at work with the same brand and model of pot and it tastes totally different. Di/ro water will keep your coffee pot from plugging up with carbonates but the water will absorb leeched metal from the pot.. I dont recommend mineralizing with salty shrimp ;)
Here is a clicky about di water and coffee:
The Lowdown on Distilled Water

Bump:
I caught the coffee bug a while back and now I don't like drinking anything more than three weeks past roast date.

Properly prepared coffee really tastes very different from the normal fare, its almost a different drink entirely.

I don't roast, but I prefer espresso which brings its own set of complexities.
It really is a night an day difference. I have a french press I use for cold brewing but I really want an espresso machine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
@thedood,

I just read the link (The Lowdown on Distilled Water) you provided and have only one comment. The author of that article is a complete ignoramus, and has no clue about chemistry or physics. I do actually like the comment that Peter Lee provided at the end of the article.

Anyway, what I can perhaps agree with that water with ~ 150ppm (by TDS) salt content is the best suited for extracting flavorful coffee. As you noted already, the mineral content is extremely important. For example, water with 150 ppm of sodium carbonate will give you VERY different coffee than water with 150 ppm of calcium chloride. (Incidentally, the most organic material would be extracted from coffee beans with distilled water)

It should be mentioned here that aquarium water is best for plants and fish when the TDS is between 150 - 300 ppm (of course, the mineral composition is of most importance).

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Tessa thanks for the reply. Are you having a caffeine crash?

Bump:
@thedood,

I just read the link (The Lowdown on Distilled Water) you provided and have only one comment. The author of that article is a complete ignoramus, and has no clue about chemistry or physics. I do actually like the comment that Peter Lee provided at the end of the article.

Anyway, what I can perhaps agree with that water with ~ 150ppm (by TDS) salt content is the best suited for extracting flavorful coffee. As you noted already, the mineral content is extremely important. For example, water with 150 ppm of sodium carbonate will give you VERY different coffee than water with 150 ppm of calcium chloride. (Incidentally, the most organic material would be extracted from coffee beans with distilled water)

It should be mentioned here that aquarium water is best for plants and fish when the TDS is between 150 - 300 ppm (of course, the mineral composition is of most importance).

Thanks for your reply.
Thanks for yours. I had that article saved and had not read the comments. What Peter Lee said does make sense. Thanks for the informative post.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Tessa thanks for the reply. Are you having a caffeine crash?
No, coffee just seems to work with me in the exact opposite way it's supposed to - instead of waking me up it makes me sleepy. People talk about the "coffee buzz" and I've never felt it. I like the taste of coffee, but if I need a wake-up kick... nope.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, coffee just seems to work with me in the exact opposite way it's supposed to - instead of waking me up it makes me sleepy. People talk about the "coffee buzz" and I've never felt it. I like the taste of coffee, but if I need a wake-up kick... nope.
I have to be careful otherwise I get the jitters. I cant drink it at night otherwise I end up with no sleep and an anvil laden hind end that no amount of caffeine will help.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Im kind of a moderate coffee drinking; do one cup per day on average....nothing terribly fancy as currently Im just using a Keurig. My fav is the Caribou Blend, I also do a flavored cream with it. For cold coffee Ive grown to really like the Starbucks Double Shot + Protein....for an "energy" drink it does atleast offer some nutritional value and keeps me going through the day.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Murderer!
LOL Guilty as charged!

Bump:
Im kind of a moderate coffee drinking; do one cup per day on average....nothing terribly fancy as currently Im just using a Keurig. My fav is the Caribou Blend, I also do a flavored cream with it. For cold coffee Ive grown to really like the Starbucks Double Shot + Protein....for an "energy" drink it does atleast offer some nutritional value and keeps me going through the day.
Caribou is excellent coffee. I have drank a lot of their whole bean coffee. I got one of their cups in a kit I bought. Good stuff.

·
Registered
171 Posts
thedood, you should stay with Central American coffees, the are more robust and like American coffees. African coffees are known as the best in the world, but often have a fruity pastry flavor profile a lot of people aren't used to. I recommend checking out Counter Culture web site and trying around the world each month. It's a blast and not too expensive of a splurge.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thedood, you should stay with Central American coffees, the are more robust and like American coffees. African coffees are known as the best in the world, but often have a fruity pastry flavor profile a lot of people aren't used to. I recommend checking out Counter Culture web site and trying around the world each month. It's a blast and not too expensive of a splurge.
I will take a look. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Mocha/Java . I get the roasted beans from T.M.Ward in beautiful downtown Newark N.J. . Grind them up each morning to make enough for 3 cups . Enough to get me through the A.M. but not so much that I'm totally wired .

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.