The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a cycled happy tank but I live in London uk and my water is alkaline and hard. I love shrimp and want them to be happy so have started to consider distilled water and tap water mix, obviously I know this needs to be done slowly but I am not sure how much I will ultimately need of each type of water...
Params:
Tap: kh 11, gh 13, ph 8.0
Distilled: kh 2, gh 2, ph 3.0

I guess I am ultimately looking for a gh/kh of 3-6 and a ph of 6-7.

So is there a formula/calculation or is it literally going to be trial and error?

Also if using a tap/distilled mix do I need to remineralise or not and if so with what?

Thanks in advance, sorry for so many questions!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
distilled should be 0kh, 0gh. Distilled is the one of the purest forms of water and should be 0tds. If yours is reading any gh/kh, somethings not right. I doubt the pH is 3, that's getting near acid water. lol.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
KH and GH are simple concentrations of ions in the water. So, you can easily determine the ratio of tap and distilled water to get the GH and KH you want. These are very different from pH which is much more difficult to change by mixing two containers of water - in fact "it is beyond the scope of this course", what my old math teacher in college used to say when too hard a question was asked by a student.

A x KH(1) + B x KH(2) = (A + B) x KH of the mixture.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.
I may be wrong with the gh/kh tests as it took 3 drops to show any colour at all... So probably 0 after all! I actually meant 6.4.... Who knows where I got 3 from!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts