The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this light at a garage sale a few years ago and tried using it on my tank, but it just made my tank get over grown with algae. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this light and if there are any bulbs that they know of that could fit this fixture so that I can actually use it for my tank.

The Model is TU200 and it says the Lamp type is F13TT. Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Teknion Portable Magnetic Lamp, Model TU200. 13 watts.

Chances are the bulb the previous owner put in is warm white or cool white, neither of which is a very good spectrum for planted tanks. I'd try something like this:

http://www.bulbtown.com/PL13_65K_13_WATT_6500K_COMPACT_FLUORESCENT_LAMP_p/1315965.htm

But as it induced algae so strongly, I suspect it's too much light for your tank, or enough light you require Excel or CO2 - plus maybe other ferts as well. What's your tank size, and how do you have this light mounted on it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was on my 10 gallon tank, which was probably only filled with 8-9 gallons of water. It's one of those standard 10 gallon glass tanks. I had it resting on top of a DIY cover made of plexy glass, so the light was shining through the plexy.

All i had in the tank then was an anubuas that had no light before, so I gave this lamp a try since it was only $5. Suprisingly, that anubias is still alive and slowly growing after almost 2 years w/o any light on it.

Do you think this lamp is complete overkill for that tank?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Hmm, not too much for the tank overall. But with the tank almost twice as wide as the fixture, and the shape of the reflector, I think you have too much light in a portion of the tank, directly underneath.

See if you can rig up a way to raise it about 5". This will improve light spread, and probably give you a low light level overall, but I think it'll still be enough for anubias.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts