The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Actually the chart doesn't look bad... although I would submit some opinions on revisions:

I believe chocolates are wilds that have been bred for more coverage of brown.

BV is accepted to come from RR, not BR

Carbons are believed to come directly from Chocolate.

And lots of other colors missing. ;)

The main challenge is many of these colors can just pop up and be bred from "culls," so who knows really where they are from? Phenotypes (the ways shrimp look) can be foolers. Some shrimp look like other shrimp, but just don't contain the same genetics (until proven otherwise.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually the chart doesn't look bad... although I would submit some opinions on revisions:

I believe chocolates are wilds that have been bred for more coverage of brown.

BV is accepted to come from RR, not BR

Carbons are believed to come directly from Chocolate.

And lots of other colors missing. ;)

The main challenge is many of these colors can just pop up and be bred from "culls," so who knows really where they are from? Phenotypes (the ways shrimp look) can be foolers. Some shrimp look like other shrimp, but just don't contain the same genetics (until proven otherwise.)
Yeah this is still extremely tentative, I only worked on it for a month before I gave up because the lack of help, do you have the sources?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Experience and lots of interaction between other breeders. Afraid no hard sources for ya.
BV does come from BR, the blue tint was first recognized from RR, and slowly breed into BV culling the majority of the red solidity away. What seems to happen is that when it is remarked the BV comes from directly RR is probably having recessive genes in RR already in existing in hobby that BV pop up suddenly when they are breed. In reality BR is the transition from RR to BV.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I'm afraid we are going to have to agree to disagree. Since I keep both BR and BV, my understanding is:

BV comes directly from RR that has a mutation to make the red fade away by older juvie age.

BR comes from RR and retains any red it has. Yes, BR has been bred often to have no red as well, however that has been through selective breeding and not a mutation.

However, you will find sellers that sell BR as BV because they look alike.

Ultimately, you have to form your own opinion from talking to others, experience and reading about shrimp. *shrugs* We may differ on opinion, but we both enjoy shrimpin'. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.