The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All- I have an issue feeding floating freeze dried foods like daphnia, tubiflex, and bloodworms or even brine shrimp. The food floats on the top where my bettas eat it all and the other fish like tetras or badis that like to roam on the middle and bottom don't see it or get to it. Any advice on a feeding device or method that will allow me to feed floating foods to the middle or bottom of the tank??

:fish:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Perhaps try compressing the food in your fingers before you add it to the tank. Works with some freeze-dried foods for me.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hi All- I have an issue feeding floating freeze dried foods like daphnia, tubiflex, and bloodworms or even brine shrimp. The food floats on the top where my bettas eat it all and the other fish like tetras or badis that like to roam on the middle and bottom don't see it or get to it. Any advice on a feeding device or method that will allow me to feed floating foods to the middle or bottom of the tank??

:fish:
Personal opinion, but i avoid feeding freeze dried, especially to betta, high risk for developing bloat. Like mentioned before, if you do feed freeze dried, you should absolutely pre soak it first. But I would recommend frozen foods.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
i have a similar issue because my fish are not noticing it at all floating at the top. i'll def. try pre soaking

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
You could use a tube to let the food go down without the betta getting it. Like the tubes used for under gravel filters. I have never had much luck with bettas in a community. I am happier and they seem healthier in a smallish tank of their own.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Stick the freeze dried food in an oral syringe, suck up some water.. then invert it and push out the air, cap the syringe with your finger and pull out the plunger, that will hydrate the foods.

I use this method with freeze dried worms when I can't get frozen foods.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wrap the cube in a plant tie sinker-weight and just drop in. Don't encase it-just enough to give it weight. Retrieve the sinker after the cube disappears-which is about 2 minutes in our community tank. The fish "stand in line" like they are at a soup kitchen. The gluttons that yank off a big piece and run end up spitting most of it out-chumming the water for the others.
:) Stef*

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
For dried tubifex cubes, you can also try pressing them hard against the glass for a few seconds at the level you want them. They'll usually stick long enough to give the middle-feeders a fair shot, before some fish manages to dislodge it.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I sometimes use equal amount's of freeze dried, or flake food's ,and anti-parasite med's and mix with a bit of water to form a paste.
Then freeze the paste, and feed fish small chunk's.
Could also work without the med's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts