The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first joined plantedtank in order to post about seed shrimp in my 45p with no luck getting a response. Here we go again! A year after my first experience with a seed shrimp explosion in my 45p, the only solution I found was getting a dwarf gourami to nip the problem in the butt, and it certainly did the trick! This December, I set up a new 60p, everything invitro like last time (except for the trident java fern which I sterilized), new filter, new media, new hardscape. And the little guys popped up again! I'm convinced they are in my tap water or something, and I think my harder water makes them even happier molting. I feed very lightly, 5 times a week and do maintenance every weekend. With my experience in the 45p they are amazing algae eaters, but they don't seem to die down unless there is something actively eating them. In my 60p, I have a hand full of neocaridina shrimp, a shoal of ember tetras and 5 otos. I don't want the seed shrimp to outcompete the otos or shrimp for food (which happened in the 45p). Are there any nano fish designed to eat hard shell inverts like these? The gourami loves to hunt for them all day long, but tetra never seemed interested. In the 60p I'm trying to keep only nano fish or close to it and am looking to introduce more to help remedy the problem. I read CPD's or boraras would eat them. Is it more their nature to eat them much like what I experience with the gourami? Here's a photo of the tank (plants still growing in), and a video I took with a magnifier glass up to my phone's lens to show that they are in fact seed shrimp / ostracod, not daphnia. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Plant Water Botany Wood Natural landscape

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Personally, if the little buggers are eating algae, I think it's a win win. A self sustaining, nearly microscopic cleanup crew that number in the millions? Yes please!

I know that wasn't helpful, but it was the first thing that popped into my head.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Personally, if the little buggers are eating algae, I think it's a win win. A self sustaining, nearly microscopic cleanup crew that number in the millions? Yes please!

I know that wasn't helpful, but it was the first thing that popped into my head.
I know they do a great job with the algae, but it's so good that it'll put my otos out of business. And the wood always has a coating of them throughout the entire tank. I don't mind them at all, I would just appreciate them more in lower numbers.

Can you define what you mean by nano fish? A scarlet badis might be what you're looking for, but they'll also go after shrimplets.
Nano just as in small, like .75 to 1.25 inches or so. A badis seems like it would do the trick like the gourami did, I was just wondering if people had experience specifically with seed shrimp getting eaten by cpds or boraras, or something else I'm not thinking of that wouldn't prey on the shrimplets much. I just started to grow the backside behind the driftwood with limnophila sp. vietnam, so that might serve as ample coverage for baby shrimp if I do get something like a badis.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sparkling gourami!! Love those fish and they go gaga for seed shrimp.
Yes! I heard these were great too, but I bet they would eat all the shrimp. Boraras don’t seem like a great option with my flow, so I guess the consensus out there seems to be a baddis, or sparkling gourami (seems like a shrimp muncher). Any one have personal experience with cpd’s or maybe endlers with seed shrimp? I could just remove the shrimp and open up my options too.

·
Administrator
17,839 Posts
I find seed shrimp to be a great indicator of tank health. If they're there? Tank is in great shape.

If it were me, I'd feed them like they were an intentional addition to the tank.

Since you find them troublesome, though, Have you ever considered trying to catch them so you can give them to others (or put in another tank) to use as a tasty snack? If not that, how about starting a planted bowl or something just for them? You may find a new appreciation for them if they have a purpose-built home.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as an update on the seed shrimp in case it's helpful for anyone, (there doesn't seem to be a lot of information online about what fish enjoy them).

I picked up only 3 emerald dwarf rasboras as well as a dwarf pencil fish. The dwarf pencil fish will occasionally pick some off, but nothing like the emerald dwarf rasboras. Once they got acclimated, they reminded me of how pea puffers hunt, super analytical, except more like a fast little hummingbird. They have been going around and cleaning them up, and just three of them have taken care of the exposed areas of entire tank, and don't bother the shrimp at all (so far). My wood looks smooth again haha.

And thanks ckbernie, When I first set up the tank I was considering pygmy corydoras, but locally they haven't been in stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.