The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Anubius aren't doing so hot. Well, not at all. They're several years old and have been thriving and in a matter of a week, I've lost nearly every leaf off all 4 plants.

First question you'll ask is my water parameters. I'll post them ASAP. I thought the pictures might prompt some opinions while I fetch my test kits and run my tests.

The only things I can think of is the addition of a new bubbler that was hidden amongst the leafy plants and 5 days of no C02 when I was out of town and my cannister ran dry.

The other plants are hanging in, only the anubius are on deaths door.

Help! All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THESE ARE MY RESULTS TAKEN RIGHT AFTER MY 60% WATER CHANGE

ph 6.8
Kh 30 mg/l
Gh 100 mg/l
Po4 0.25 mg/
N02 0.3 mg/l
NH3 0.6 mg/l
KNO3 15 ppm

THESE ARE MY RESULTS FROM 2 WEEKS AGO

ph 6.8
Kh 80 mg/l
Gh 160 mg/l
Po4 0.25 mg/
N02 0.1 mg/l
NH3 0.0 mg/l
KNO3 15 PPM

So, my Kh and Gh are down respectively and my No2 and NH3 are up respectively. I've never had ammonia, and I do 50% water changes weekly - though I was 2 days late this week.

Also, when trying to prime my filter I got gunk spewed into the tank, so I cleaned it and refilled, meaning it was more likely a 65% water change and I'm certain I still have gunk that will necessitate a mid-week vacuum as well.

Ideas what I should do?

On water change day I dose NPK and equillibrium. I'm getting spot algae but that's it. Maybe add some epsom and baking soda?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 weeks ago I dosed iron. I don't normally but had some and thought "heck, why not? They seem a bit yellow." Shortly there after my anubius began dying. I've not added any since and I don't have an iron test kit. I will add some tonight - it's not like I can hurt the anubius anymore than it really is...

dead is dead.

I would like to know what's wrong though for the sake of my other plants and moreover, the health of my fish.

Again, the only real changes of late is the absence of Co2 when it ran out, and the addition of a bubbler that I've since moved away from the anubius. These were previously mature and thriving plants.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ANYBODY?? Please help.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Wow, anubias are typically pretty hardy unless they get covered in algae - was that the case? I'm assuming the rhizomes weren't buried since you've had them for several years.

How are the other plants doing? You said they are 'hanging in', does that mean they've suffered as well? If so I would suspect the huge change in CO2 causing the symptoms, but I've never seen it myself....

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only dose by bottle (NPK Fert) I can try adding potass. tonight as I have them dry too, just never use them.

I will check the roots, but never before have they been covered. Will check anyway. Maybe they got covered when I was rescaping the other plants.

I've moved the bubbler away as well.

The other plants look typically well. One small leaf from another unidentified plant appears to be melting, but otherwise, they look ok.

Great link, I'll print it out and use as a reference!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.