The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Before giving you any suggestions, I feel we need a little bit more information from you to properly advise.

What kind of lighting will you have? How strong (Lumens/PAR)? Duration?
What are your water parameters? Soft, hard, other parameters, etc.
Will you be running C02? Dosing fertz?
What other kinds of plants?
Will you have floaters and what is the general look you want?

There are many different kinds of anubias plants and they range from color and size. With a little more information a lot of people here can guide you towards the right one.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Whats the height from the driftwood to the surface? There are several species that get to 16" tall. IMO for a180 I'd get broad leaf-big leaves but not too tall. If you have over 16" from top of driftwood to surface options broaden
broadleaf - in my experience about 6-8"
coffeefolia (has cool textured/wrinkled/crinkled leaves) - 6"
afzelii - 8"
angustifolia (somtimes called lanceolata) - 13"

Less commonly found:
glabra (also somtims called lanceolata or minima) - 14"
gilletii - 15"
gracilis - 13"

small speices: nana
petite
micro
imo too small for that size tank.

Hastifolia and gigantea get too large unless you have over 36" tall tank

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I have plain old Nana in my 180 gallon tank on fairly large scale wood. Looks good, growth follows the wood and roots hang down. Grows fast enough I have to pull it off every year and replant. If your scale is smaller scaled then try 'Petit', should be durable and grow well. Another type to try that is a bit harder to grow is 'Coffeefolia', has wonderful wrinkled leaves that can be orange when new. All three are varieties of Anubias barteri so the proper name are are Anubias barteri 'Nana', A. b. 'Petit' and A. b. 'Coffeefolia'

Larger Anubias probably are too large even for our large tanks and there isn't any need to get the more expensive varieties until you see if you like the plant in the first place. I'd just lose a fancy Anubias and many are not all that much different from the original anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.