The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Saddletramp
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this photo downloads.
I am thinking of splitting this to grow it in two separate pots and multiply it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Wow I am super jealous! I have been wanting a white anubias for a very long time! From what I have read on anubias you will have to cut the rhizome and it should be fine, but don't quote me on this! There are a few people on here that offer these up for sale from time to time, you could probably send them a PM if they don't respond and they could give you more informative advice. Just wanted to say it again, amazing! Super Jealous!! If you do split it or happen to sell off a tiny piece let me know what kinda price you are looking for.

·
Saddletramp
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the only Anubias that really "popped" off the page when I saw its photo for the first time. When it was finally offered for sale I bought the only one offered.

Am not sure how rare it is, but it was very expensive and mine will never be for sale. It is a super plant.

Thanks for your tips.
Bill

·
Saddletramp
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, well, well! Look who just chimed in!
Yes, it is growing emersed.

So, if the front of the plant is cut off and put in its own pot and the base(original portion) is left in the pot, as is, then the front will grow forward in the new pot and the base will develop shoots off the sides??

Will the base develop just one new shoot or will several offshoots develop?

I paid so much for the original (it was worth every penny) that I do not want to mess it up. This plant is petite in size but stands out like a glittering diamond in the emersed tank it is growing in.
Bill

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Yes, that is what should happen in a perfect scenario. If you're lucky multiple new shoots will develop from the base.

Another method to stimulate new shoots are to nick the rhizome (half way through the diameter of the rhizome) with a razor. New shoots may develop from the nicked areas.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Every time ive tried to nick the rhizomes on my anubias, nothing happened (and seemed to take the plant longer to grow a new leaf). I would never attempt that on a $100 plant. :D

but im jealous, ive been wanting two of those for my tanks for the longest time. But I just cant justify $200 on plants. Im not that much of a baller

·
Registered
291 Posts
Bills got all the good stuff! What substrate do you have these in Bill? Mine has some leaves that are all white, some with green specs. Yours is dominantly white, what kinda light you using? Sorry bud, i know im always hounding you with questions lol

·
Saddletramp
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The plant is in a pot of standard potting mix composed of mostly Miracle Gro Organic Top Soil, some earthworm castings, a little red clay, fine silica sand and that is about it. It was planted in that. A little gravel top dressing was added and the rhizome lifted just a touch so it rests on the top dressing.
It is grown emersed and fertilized every 2 to 3 weeks along with all the Crypts. The lighting is two T5s about 16" above the surface of the substrate.
It is that simple.
Wish I had the guts to attempt messing with this thing for propagation purposes.
Once you get one of these things, you admiration for it increases. They are superb little jewels that really command attention.
Steve drops in from Hawaii every few weeks just to look see it.
Bill

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
WOW WOW WOW!!!! That's a beautiful anubias. Is it a form of anubias petite?

If it was mine, I would chop it in half but make sure both ends have roots in the substrate and repot just the top in a few weeks until it's established again.

How's the weather over there? Still snowed in?

·
Registered
304 Posts
How a about a raok for a snap of rhyzome? What a beauty! That's the best picture I've ever seen of that type.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If he did that, would probably be the most popular ROAK ever! Even a small piece of this plant will go for $30-$50 easy.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts