The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anubias - "Skeletal" HELP!

5169 10
Our anubias has started dying and we need help here are the facts:

-past 1 1/2 months noticed some black algae (in spots)
-infestation of snails, under control now
-note one picture shows a snail on dying leaf however we think this problem was occurring before snails
-leaves appear to disintegrate to "skeleton"

Action we've taken:

-removed damaged leaves at rhyzome.
-removed entire section (oldest part of plant)

This didn't help is occurring in newer section now.

The other smaller Anubias now has this on one leaf.

Both plants have some yellowing on some leaves.

We also floated water sprite above anubias thinking shade might help but hasn't seemed to.

Tank Details: 72 gallon bow front tank. We have 4 Red Maze Pigeon Discus & 2 Bushy Nose Plecos, & 2 Brilliant Turq Discus. We have around 25 tetras. We have 2 anubias, 2 melon swords, 2 water sprites, vals
-Temp 84, pH - 6.8, ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, KH & GH 3, phosphate 2
-not able to age water

Our regimen: We change water 3 times a week. Tuesday/Thursday we change 1/3 water & just add Prime, Excel (1 capful). For the 50% change, Saturday, we add Prime, Excel (1 capful), 1/2 tsp Reef Builder, Flourish (1 capful), Florapride (3 capfuls), Trace (3 capfuls), 1 tsp epsom salt.

Our lights are on from 12 - 8 (with 12-1 & 7-8 only one light on): Coralife, Aqualight, 48” T5 Dual lamp fixture & Deep Blue Solarmax HE T5 48”. We have an EHEIM, professionel 3 2075, Ultra G160 & our heater is Jager Eheim 200 watt. We have a base of substrate in tank & sand covering all.

Any help is appreciate greatly.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just double checking, but you're not burying the rhizome in the substrate, right?

If it's not a rhizome issue, my hunch is it's a lack of macronutrients. I'm not too familiar with Flourish or Florapride, but it looks like between the two of them, you're only getting potassium and trace elements. Plants also need a source of nitrogen and phosphate. Normally, in a lightly planted tank, fish waste could provide enough, but your WCs are probably stopping that.

Also, in any fish tank, but particularly with discus, you really should not have any detectable ammonia. How newly setup is this tank, and is it still in the process of cycling?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Offpath thanks for replying.

No we're not burying the rhizome. It rests or has attached itself to the driftwood and is no where near the substrate.

I just read the bottle re Flourish and it lists "micro elements, trace elements and other nutrients. Flourish is rich in gluconate iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, potassium, inositol, choline B12, biotin" and it goes on to say "For macro element (NPK) fertilization, use Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphorus or Flourish Potassium" so perhaps we need to purchase the Flourish Nitrogen. I will think on this some more. The reason we do the regular water changes is to keep our discus healthy & growing as much as possible, they're only about 5 months old.

Out of the tap our phosphate measures 2 but it's my understanding it should be around .5 so I'm hesitant to add more to the tank. Sorry I didn't have this in my original post. FYI we live in NYC and do not have the space to be able to age our water.

I read on the Floralpride bottle "promotes production of chlorophyll, does not pollute the natural environmental conditions in the aquarium. Tetra FloraPride promotes the growth of aquatic plants through a combination of mineral nutrient (Potash) and trace element (Iron). This product does not contain phosphates or nitrates." FYI

Regarding the ammonia, because we use prime with our water changes we will always "measure" ammonia but that's from the prime use.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you do wind up buying more fertilizers for your tank, you might consider buying dry ferts. They'll be much cheaper in the long run. Should be some good info in the fertilizers section of this forum.

Also, glad to hear that the ammonia is just the test mis-detecting the prime. I've seen this as well, which is why I only ever test water parameters at least 2 days after a WC.

Good luck growing out your discus! I'm actually in the process of growing some out as well, but I'm not intrepid enough to try growing them out in a planted tank. =)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I very much doubt snails are eating the plant. Snails will sometimes eat dead tissue, but not healthy leaves (This is true for the typical pond snail/ MTS. There are larger snails out there that readily consume healthy plants.). That goes doubly for Anubias as they have tougher leaves that even many plant eaters find distasteful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
offpath - thanks i might look into dry ferts. re discus/planted tank, our friend suggested this as a possible set up & stupidly without any research dove into it. thankfully we've read a ton now & have been learning from many many mistakes. it seems that once things seem "set" something else goes wrong.

thanks guys. i guess i'll keep searching around for a possible answer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.