The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search of diseases that affect Anubias plants specifically the rhizome but what I have inst quite matching what I've found. The plant doesn't appear to have rhizome rot, or anything fungal.

I believe I may have a nitrogen deficiency as a few of my leaves have yellowed slightly at the tips but one rhizome of one Anubias has turned yellow half way. It hasn't broken apart yet but is looking like it would break apart if handeled. I Have probably 30 different Anubias plants in this tank, and if this is a disease I want to stop it in its tracks, but with the plants glued I figured id check here if anyone has experienced similar symptoms and may have a solution.

They were emmersed up to maybe 6 weeks ago, until i glued them to my driftwood pieces in my tank so i could remove more sand from the tank.

Lights are off in the tank right now so dont want to startle the fish just for a photo, will post tomorrow if i remember lol

Any ideas?

Bump: Before I forget water parameters are pretty reasonable. PH sits about 6.5, I dose using seachem flourish, excel and iron, potassium, nirtogen, phosphorous. No Co2 yet, but was planning on giving a DIY setup a go to see how the tank reacts. My water conditioner crystals have added potassium for planted tanks. Temp is 27c, preparing it again for discus which are growing out in another tank.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If the rhizome is yellow then it is dying. Get it out of the tank in case it is Anubias rot. Cut back to healthy tissue. Good rhizomes are tough and won't snap easily, if you think it is fragile then get it out now. I've had a single very short bit of rhizome die on me after a year without sprouting new growth and I've had my A. nana for over a decade. They can die without it being diseased but it takes a while.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Photos of the affected plant, will be taking kathyys advice and removing the affected plant and cutting of the yellowed section. I don't think its had any leaves wheres it has turned yellow for almost a year now so may in fact just dying off, but would rather put it into a different tank just to be sure in case it is a disease that spreads. I have a bare bottom discus tank ill put the plant into, lighting in there is good for plants so will be fine hopefully.

Thanks for the reply's guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.