The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed before I am new to the forum and searched around, but couldn't find anything about it. I have had a 5 gallon tank for about half a year and it houses a single veiltail Betta. I decided about 3 weeks ago that I wanted to grow some plants and provide a prettier setup than fake plants. So I got two types of Anubias the first was A. Barteri and the second I am not sure. It had larger leaves than the Barteri did but looks-wise was similar. I also got some Italian Val and a piece of driftwood from the LFS. Anyways, I treated the plants with bleach (1 part bleach 19 water) and soaked em for 2 minutes. I then rinsed them and trimmed the roots. I then attached them to rocks and put them in the tank. About a week ago one of the Anubias started getting this white fuzz on the Rhizome so I tried to wipe it off and the whole plant just turned to mush and practically disintegrated. When I took it out it smelled rank. Today, my other Anubias did the same thing and there wasn't anything I could do to save it. I did some research and people are either saying that it is fungus or a type of nematode that destroys Anubias. My question is whether this is safe for my Betta to be around? Is it safe for me to be sticking my bare hands into? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand and dosing with Flourish and Flourish Excel I also have a 15W CFL that I have on 8 hrs a day. I am also using API root tabs for the Vals. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had the same problem a few months ago in my 10g betta tank. After it happened I removed the anubias and did about a 60% water change and daily 30% water changes for the next week or so just to be sure I got it out. I put in another anubias a couple weeks later and that one is doing well. I don't think you really need to worry about getting your hands in the tank as long as you wash afterwards, but that's a good habit to develop anyway.

If you really want to be thorough you can move your fish and filter to a temporary home and treat your tank plants with Hydrogen peroxide. Here's a high level intro to H2O2 treatments with links to more detailed articles: http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/hydrogen-peroxide After that you can do several water changes to get rid of the H2O2 or wait a couple days for it to naturally break down.

Also a word of warning since your setup is a lot like mine: be sure to replace the root tabs regularly since you can't really tell whether they have run out of nutrients until it's too late. I didn't and it kicked off a load of algae problems I am still fighting. The standard Flourish doesn't have enough macro nutrients so those will need to be supplemented with the root tabs or other sources.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts