The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I setup this 2.5 gallon tank last night, with 5 watts of compact fluorescent, hanged about 30 cm above the water surface. Plants are mostly Anubias nana, and 2 petite.

full tank

close up

anubias nana petite

and this is what i came up last night, another way to anchor Riccia :

all you need is aluminium mesh

cut it like this

bend it to form a box or a triangle, use your imagination

put Riccia in

put it inside the aquarium in a position like this to keep the Riccia inside

push it into substrate

done

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haeun
it's pretty simple isn't it? i'll upload pics when the ricia has grown

sNApple
this has been my dream for a long time also, i have fall in love with these plants, but tha plant's cost is limiting me to make a bigger tank

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it still looks kinda empty isn't it? espescially the upper half of the tank. it's hard to find a good looking wood that fits the tank dimension. i'm gonna look again this week, perhaps adding more anubias too.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
looks cool, but did you put the riccia in the 2.5?
I doubt it will live with 5w of light, think about upgrading, maybe a spiral compact bulb in a desklight?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i put the riccia in to take shots of the anchoring method, i was planning to remove them but suddenly i felt curious about it and left it there to see if it would grow. i can remove it easily though. can the riccia survive if i float it? recommend any other low light plants that come along nicely with this setup?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Where did you find the aluminum mesh? And did it hold down the riccia well as it grew?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I can't grow anythying with 5watts. I had a 7 watt clip light and I could barely grow java moss.

Definitely upgrade to a 2x13 or a 2x9 watt light.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
so where did the aluminum mesh come from? Does it sink?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok a quick update, re-position some anubias, added some ferns.

what kind of snail is this?

uncskainch and RachPreach
my girlfriend works in a company that sells this aluminium mesh so i can get free samples easily :) you'll find it easily in hardware stores. it sinks easily and i bet it can hold a lot of riccia down since it's pretty heavy and putting it inside the substrate will also helps to gain hold.

gmccreedy
removed the riccia inside the mesh at the bottom tried to float it but it quickly mess my tank due to the hang-on-filter current. it took me more than one hour to really clean it out. i made another riccia in mesh and put it in my other tank to see how it goes.

Wasserpest
i know about mosses, but can pelia survive in my tank?

mrbelvedere
after about a week, my anubias seems to love this dim condition.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
[drools]oooooooooo, windelov, zebra nerite snail....[drools]

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
omg is that really windelov and zebra nerite... i bought them on a flea market last night and the seller just told me it's just ferns and algae eating snails, lol...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
you found aquarium plants at a plan ole flea market?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no no, what i meant is that in the city where i live, there's this night market that only occurs during wednesday and saturday night that sells a lot of aquarium fish. there are some people there that sell plants, and just recently this year, almost half of them are selling plants there with cheap prices.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts