1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those that are successful with anubias:

What are your thoughts on photo period?
What are you thoughts on light levels?
Do you feel different var. of Anubias have unique requirements?

I'm looking for the correct levels for my 40 Aquaponic tank. I
have the lights on about 10hrs now. I 30" T5 and two 19w CFLs.
Which spread the light evenly over the plants.

I'm thinking about maybe going to 8hrs.?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I use a 25w spiral bulb for 11 hours on a 15g tank and I think that is too much light. The light is about 12 inches from the surface. I get algae on the older leaves. The aquarium is in a very bright part of the house and is getting a lot of ambient light so that adds something. I keep trying to grow stems to shade the leaves but the anubias fills most of the tank. I don't think the time matters as much as the intensity. But I don't know!

I do think that feeding the plant does the most to keep it healthy and growing.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
You can increase lighting to virtually anything with anubias, as long as its done slowly.

Rhizomes can burn and will dump their old leaves, new ones will be produced that can handle the extra lumens but the depth of your tank will prevent that from happening.

8-10 hours on provides sufficient growth in my opinion. The longer the photo-period the more nutrients get utilized. No nutrients in the water will prevent growth and cause rhizome to eat itself.

You're already a plant boss!

-Gordon

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
....You're already a plant boss!

-Gordon
Thanks, Dirt Chef maybe, I do O.K. with my Crypts.:wink:
I'm not really for the Plant Boss title yet.

I had some nice growth on the Nanas you sent me last year this time. Now, I'm looking to take my Anubias success to a higher level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts