The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 anubias barteri. Two in full light, One stuck in a corner with shaded light... The 2 in full light is not doing so well.. The leaves would turn yellow over time and form holes. Their new leaves are yellowish. The one in the shade still retain its dark green leaves and sprouting new dark green leaves..

Should I just cut the the dying leaves and move the 2 anubias into the shade?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine did the same. It seems like anubias can't tolerate high lighting at all. My brother had great success with a tank that barely had any lights. He actually did come home for days and they were great. I got Co2, good lighting, and all the ferts but they are a gonner.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I am growing nana and mini nana in high light without issue. They grow fast and healthy with no algae.

Most likely the ones in full light are running out of some nutrient. While the one in the shade needs far less nutrition and is doing well consequently.

Cut the dying leaves and move them to the shadier area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also kept anubias in high light with no problem at all.

In your case, just like you said, try to cut the damaged leaves and move them into shade.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I put some Anubias barteri into my 90g and they started falling apart. they would literally lose 2-3 leaves a day until they didn't have any. The tank is doing well (see avatar). I have some anubias nana that is doing ok. It seems that, while tough, this plant is also particular about lighting and perhaps other things...

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was my hunch but the faster growing plant are doing much better in full light like my hygro polysperma, sword, etc... are doing fine.. Not great but good.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had a tank that wasn't cared for particularily well over the last year or so and I've recently added CO2 and fertilization. The anubias is going crazy, but I only have 4 4ft T5 tubes over a 125 gallon, she's only a shade over 1 watt per gallon.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, they seem to grow better in low light... Mine has start shooting out a leaf every few weeks since I moved it in the shade... that's good for an anubias?

I'll start a low light tank in the future and the anubias can go in there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm with Overfloater on this one. I've got a nana smack in the middle under the 220W of AHS lights in my 75 gallon, and apart from a bit of GSA, it's doing great. It went in in November with 6 leaves, now has about 20-25, puts out oxygen bubbles like a glass CO2 diffuser set at 1bps, and has one flower open and a couple more on the way. I think Anubias can have high rates of metabolism (with the attendant nutrient needs), they just don't show it in fast growth like stem plants.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts