The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typically you don't put Anubias into the substrate anyways. They will do just as well tied to something in a BB tank.
I see they have roots. Are they still absorbing nutrients by their roots? What's the point of having roots if they live on top of the substrate and in my case a BB tank?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have the rhizomes of my Anubis free floating and I buried the whispy little roots in the substrate partially, but for all intents and purposes it was floating, at least 98%, and within 3 days it shot a pad up to the surface and entangled itself around a small piece of driftwood nearby...IMO it will do fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hello, not sure for 100%, but I have trimmed the roots on anubias quite short with no problems. I would probably wait till they acclimated to your tank though. I have found that you can trim off less than perfect leaves, it just grows new healthy ones, cut the rhizome in half (provided there is at least 3 leaves on each portion to be safe) and it just grows a new shoot. Actually, although they are extremely slow growers, ime, they are actually encouraged to better, or grow period when you prune them.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Most plants in a healthy environment can almost be completely separated from their root system and still survive quite well, it may not help the plant, but it won't really hurt the plant in the long run either. It really comes down to how healthy the plant is, how well it's acclimated to it's environs and how healthy the tank is...I would do it when you know the nutrient levels are at there best, ie a day after dosing ferts. Just my humble opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.