The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 56 gallon column, and I previously had it in a 25 gallon it was tied to a rock where it was rooted on that I got from Petco, and I'm now trying to attach it to a large piece of driftwood in the back of my tank.

is Anubias slower growing then Java fern? And can you put two different kinds of Anubias on driftwood?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If you want to plant two kinds of Anubias on one piece of wood go for it. If one grows faster than move one.

Only new growth is going to attach to the wood so make sure the newest part of the plant is pressed against the wood.

Java fern grows a lot faster for me than Anubias but Anubias surprises me. I cut apart bedraggled A. nana stems and glued maybe 30 1-2" mostly stem bits to wood and the next year when I redid the tank took out a couple gallons of A. nana.

Don't wait for the Anubias to fill the tank, get other low light plants to fill in for now and you can rescape next year when the Anubias has grown out. Or get more Anubias!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Try cuttign a few leaves off, it helps promote new growth
Cutting the leaves is a bad idea. It does nothing but take away nutrients from the rhizome. It will feed off that rhizome while it produces leaves. While it can "promote" more leaves, it doesn't matter when you still have the core issue of no growth.

Nutrients, if you don't have enough available for the plant you won't see new growth, only survival of the rhizome. I'd suggest dosing ferts in your tank and letting it do its thing. Most people see a new leaf every month if lucky.

Realize its one of the slower growing plants available in the hobby, but it also one of the most bulletproof. Anubias is best consider a set and forget plant. It can easily double or almost triple in size over the course of a year.

So:
Don't cut the leaves.
Nutrients nutrients nutrients.

-Gordon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.